[SOLVED] VPN

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I'm thinking about getting a VPN service. Now my setup is going to be my gateway/router (AT&t (which almost has no functions to it), then I'm going to put another router between that and home network. The router I'm thinking about getting is the Nighthawk R7000 which has VPN service. No problem, but I'm also thinking about putting VPN on my raspberry pi (webserver (Apache)). Can I do this?

Solution
It likely is technically possible but not simple. Your largest issue is you need 2 ethernet ports. I guess you could use vlan interfaces but then you would need a switch that also supports vlans.

The next problem you have is the CPU on a raspberry are not very powerful and VPN is extremely cpu intensive. Your router also has this issue and will cap the rate likely under 35mbps. There is one consumer router cpu that has a VPN encryption accelerator but even that will still cap out under 200mbps.

If you want to do fast VPN you are going to have to use a actual PC.
It likely is technically possible but not simple. Your largest issue is you need 2 ethernet ports. I guess you could use vlan interfaces but then you would need a switch that also supports vlans.

The next problem you have is the CPU on a raspberry are not very powerful and VPN is extremely cpu intensive. Your router also has this issue and will cap the rate likely under 35mbps. There is one consumer router cpu that has a VPN encryption accelerator but even that will still cap out under 200mbps.

Solution

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

I guess I forgot to mention that the AT&T gateway/router is connected to fiber optic. I do have one more question about something that is almost in the same boat. I have a AT&T BG200-700 gateway which is fiber optic. I also have a nighthawk C7800-200 gateway/router. Is there any device out there that I can change the end of the fiber optic cable to screw in type?

Last edited:
It wouldn't matter even if att was using a ethernet connected device they will not allow you to replace it. Technically maybe you could get the fiber optic, att is using fairly standard XGS-GPON fiber adapters.

From some discussions on some forums I have seen about replacing ATT stuff they have made it almost impossible. It seems ATT is using 802.1x to allow devices on the network. In addition they are not using a simple user/password method they are using certificates. Each device has a certificate embedded in its firmware.

The big thing that I have never understood is with all these restrictions why ATT does not allow simple bridge mode. They have some crazy ip pass through option that will accomplish the same thing more or less

At least the newer ATT routers perform ok and even have wifi6 on the latest ones.

small embedded server would not cost too much and be able to run multiple vms for all of this. N5095 cpu is becoming available and should be one of the cheaper intel offerings. I've seen some nuc like models with 2 nic or you can use 1 with vlans on the switch. It will be more reliable and much more powerful than a PI. you would need an access point if you don't use an all-in-one router.

TRENDING THREADS