[SOLVED] VPN

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Hi, in a few days I have to go to South America to get surgery but currently employed in Miami as a CSR (costumer service representative. I was wondering if there is a way I could fake my location with a vpn so I could be able to continue working without them knowing my location. My treatment would take 2 surgeries, one in a few days from now and the second and final would be in six months. In the meantime I won't have any income and debt would rise if I don't work or loose this job . So far I've found something about a hardware vpn but I don't know if that would be a reliable option to hide the location, if it would drop the fake location at some point . If someone can help me teaching me what to do or guiding me through some of it would be a life saver. Thank you reading this and God bless

Solution
It depends on if they actually care or they pretend to not know that you are doing it. Mostly this is so they can say they told you not to do it so all the legal issues are on you.

They can pretty easily see if you are coming from a vpn service if they really want to. Netflix for example knows when you are using vpn services.

So the way that is almost impossible to detect is if you would leave your main pc in your house and then use something like teamviewer. So everything actually is being done from the pc in your house but you are using a "really" long keyboard/mouse/monitor cable. This of course does not work if you need to do video conference.

The other variation of this is to put a router that supports vpn in your...

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, in a few days I have to go to South America to get surgery but currently employed in Miami as a CSR (costumer service representative. I was wondering if there is a way I could fake my location with a vpn so I could be able to continue working without them knowing my location.
Any competent network team will be able to tell.

Have you asked your boss about working from a different location?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Any competent network team will be able to tell.

Have you asked your boss about working from a different location?

They want me to stay in the same location for tax porpuses . They didn't even want people from NY as NY charges more taxes, much worst from another country. So for me is either pay 80k in USA for the treatment or fake it for a few months at 14k for treatment. Thanks for the time thought

It depends on if they actually care or they pretend to not know that you are doing it. Mostly this is so they can say they told you not to do it so all the legal issues are on you.

They can pretty easily see if you are coming from a vpn service if they really want to. Netflix for example knows when you are using vpn services.

So the way that is almost impossible to detect is if you would leave your main pc in your house and then use something like teamviewer. So everything actually is being done from the pc in your house but you are using a "really" long keyboard/mouse/monitor cable. This of course does not work if you need to do video conference.

The other variation of this is to put a router that supports vpn in your house. You can then vpn into your house from anyplace. All the traffic would then appear to come from your house. The thing you can't fix is the extra latency for the signal to travel from your remote location to your house and then finally to the company.
This will impact something like video conferencing and any other app that is sensitive to latency. You could always claim your wifi sucks in your house and is adding the latency but it depends on if they really believe that.

I suspect though this is one of those rules the lawyer write and as long as you keep your mouth shut about doing it the company will not activially try to hunt you down. It is even harder for a government to find you to tax you but you need to be careful who you talk to about this setup.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
So you cant spoof location by using a vpn router... ok, but there is a way, perhaps I should elaborate my question differently, thank you once again
A LOT of this depends on your function at work.

VPN from a continent away...major lag difference.

If your employer has stated specifically..."You must be in Country or State X" and you are not....you might get fired.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
So you cant spoof location by using a vpn router... ok, but there is a way, perhaps I should elaborate my question differently, thank you once again
Yeah I guess I can't risk it, site to site vpn might work but and blame it to the ISP for the latency would be an option but at the end thanks to the latency they might be able to tell.... Thank you very much, would give the answer to you