VPU recover problem

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I have been having a problem with vpu recover with my new computer that i bought a week ago.
When i play games like cod 4, cod 5, rainbow six or something with high graphics, the game freezes and a window pops up:
"VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator" or something like that.
I have re-installed windows a several times, uninstalled my graphic card drivers a several times(safe mode, with DriverSweeper)
Please help me, its getting really annoying.
My graphic card isnt overheating.

My specs: MA78G-DS3H Gigabytes Motherboard
Amd Athlon X2 5050e 2.6ghz
Ati Radeon HD 4850 Sapphire 512mb
2x 1GB 1066mhz OZC Dual Channel RAM
480W Power Supply

Basically you are having issues somewhere with the GPU, could be drivers. The VPU recovery console does what it does to stop th esystem crashing or freezing.
I had it keep coming up before and tried just installing the display drivers not the CCC and then running ATI Tray Tools which has more control than the CCC anyway. That worked. Then another time i couldnt get rid of it at all and ended up just turning it off in the CCC. You do this at your own risk though. It worked for me but it could lock up your system.
Mactronix

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hmm. Okay, thank you. I will try turning it off and get ATI Tray Tools instead. If it works i will come back and thank you :)

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
What exact model psu are you using? The problem is probably either the video card overheating or the psu not supplying enough power under load. You can monitor gpu temperatures and increase the fan speed in ccc (I think). Else try Rivatuner to increase the fan. Also, to test the video card install "AtiTool" and scan for artifacts.

So what exactly did you do ? Did you turn it off(vpu recover) then it was ok, turned PC off restarted and then it did it again ? Did you change the drivers ?
Are you using ATI Tray Tools ? If you are VPU recover is under Tweaks/Standard tweaks/system. Just untick the box.
If your still using CCC then it sounds like it has reset itself at start up.

Mactronix

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I uninstalled CCC, turned VPU recover off in ATT, still VPU recover.
I dont know what sort of PSU i've got, i got it with my case.
Heres a link to it:http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1385022/art/advance/8715lcd-slim-digital-pc-c.html

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Okay.. No more vpu recover.. Buut.. Blue screen o' death.. When i play wow my screen freezes and blue screen.. Something about ati2dvag, infinite loop ****.

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Okay.. So.. I bought a new graphic card now.. Got so pissed off. The new is ATI Radeon 4870, i re-installed drivers. I played Assassin's Creed for 15 minutes or so. It looked good, but.. Then everything froze. after 1 min the game pops up again. and the same goes on 3 times til it just freezes, and you have to reboot..
I rebooted and tried again, 5 mins, vpu recover, and the game crashes.
After that, my computer acted like it didn't have graphiccard drivers anymore. What the hell should i do now?
Thank you in advance.

Snoflan

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hey. I got it to work :) the only problem was one of my PCI thingie was kinda ****ed up... so i used the other one and voilá ;D Thank you all tho ;)

G

I have an Intel Core 2 E8600 3.33GHz with 4GB RAM on an Intel DP35DP Motherboard, 900W power supply, running an Asus ATI EAH4870 (aka ATI HD4870) graphics card running on Windows XP Professional and I too got extremely frustrated when my PC kept freezing whilst trying to play Borderlands.

It would play fine for a short while and then randomly freeze whenever it felt like it for no reason, when there was not even graphically intensive gameplay taking place. The ATI Catalyst VPU Recover would then pop up and tell me something along the lines of how it had to reset the graphics accelerator, the game would then resume after a short time... but on the fourth time or so of this happening, my entire PC would reset itself.

In fact, this seemed to be a re-occuring issue with all games using the underlying Unreal 3 engine. I tried everything from registry settings, to game specific ini settings, to new drivers, old drivers, beta drivers... Altering the graphics card fan speed, although the card never really got hotter than 70C regardless... I tried Underclocking the graphics card... I even considered a BIOS update which was specifically available for the ATI 4870 graphics card, but I could not find the *exact* update for my card type.

Nothing worked and then finally, short of throwing the thing out the window... the simplist solution arose, although a bit disappointing... I was forced to lower my resolution in the game to 1024x768 and I was then able to restore all other card specific settings back to their defaults. The game still looks good and I have not had a freeze since. :wahoo:

siccness_ca

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have an Intel Core 2 E8600 3.33GHz with 4GB RAM on an Intel DP35DP Motherboard, 900W power supply, running an Asus ATI EAH4870 (aka ATI HD4870) graphics card running on Windows XP Professional and I too got extremely frustrated when my PC kept freezing whilst trying to play Borderlands.

It would play fine for a short while and then randomly freeze whenever it felt like it for no reason, when there was not even graphically intensive gameplay taking place. The ATI Catalyst VPU Recover would then pop up and tell me something along the lines of how it had to reset the graphics accelerator, the game would then resume after a short time... but on the fourth time or so of this happening, my entire PC would reset itself.

In fact, this seemed to be a re-occuring issue with all games using the underlying Unreal 3 engine. I tried everything from registry settings, to game specific ini settings, to new drivers, old drivers, beta drivers... Altering the graphics card fan speed, although the card never really got hotter than 70C regardless... I tried Underclocking the graphics card... I even considered a BIOS update which was specifically available for the ATI 4870 graphics card, but I could not find the *exact* update for my card type.

Nothing worked and then finally, short of throwing the thing out the window... the simplist solution arose, although a bit disappointing... I was forced to lower my resolution in the game to 1024x768 and I was then able to restore all other card specific settings back to their defaults. The game still looks good and I have not had a freeze since. :wahoo:

I am having the above same issues in borderlands with my ATI HD3870 and have also tried several fixes listed above and still the game is freezing while I am playing. I am going to try lowering the resolution too 1024x768 to see what happens. I am at the point where I think the brand new card is faulty