REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Lately my r9600 has not been responding, the screen goes black, a few seconds pass then the picture reappears. The vpu recover error message appears and tells me the graphics card was not responding and has been reset to default values. The only value that appears to be altered is the refresh rate, from 85 back to 60. Any Ideas why this is happening? At 60 i get screen flicker so i always had it set to 1024*768*32 85hz. I have it currently set to 75 which looks the same as 85 and we'll see if that has any effect. I am not overclocking the card i am however oc'ing the board slightly(5mhz on the FSB)

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
it isnt a pro so there is no fan. As for my specs,
Asus A7V 133
512 meg pc133 PNY with heat spreader
Athlon 1ghz
Retail Ati made 9600np cat 3.8
Turbolink(ASPIRE case brand)300watt ps
12v rail @ 12.281 5v @ 4.919 3.3v @ 3.584 according to asus probe

1 hard drive, 1 burner, 1 floppy,

2 case fans, fan on the northbridge and cpu

My rails are way off, I dont know how much that matters but they have been off for a long time and they are consistently off so they really havent changed much. But the PS is 2 years old? maybe older I should probably replace that first. I know antec and sparkle are solid any other reccomendations?

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron makes Sparkel, you can get the 350W model with 120mm fan for $36 at Newegg. Don't scoff at that size rating, it outputs as much as an Antec 430W True-Power!

Make sure you leave the first PCI slot under the graphics card open for ventilation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like the video chip is overheating, check to see if the fan is OK.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Pure shot in the wind, but what about power? I know the 9600Pro is relativly light on power (I have one myself) compared to other cards, but if your power supply is a no-name el-crappo 200 watt, that would be your problem. Again, just a speculation. As a side note, it would be helpful if you posted your system specs for us.

Is there anything really more to say?

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try.