RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
Ladies and Gentlemen, I humbly put up this ~$1K VR-ready build up for review to be critiqued, because I do not want to make any mistakes in this final draft. This is my first build, I am unbelievably nervous and inexperienced, and I've gone back and forth with a few people on this discord for assistance to finalize this list. Well, semi-finalize.

https://rsfics.com/VRbuild

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

If anything is overkill, let me know. I'd like something that would last me at least five years, through Vive or Oculus or any other 1080/60fps game in max-range settings. If HDR is possible, I'd like to know. 2k at 144hz is what my friend recommended.

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, here's my semi-final build. I scrapped everything and restarted, courtesy of pcpartpicker. What do you think, in terms of power and VR capability?
I plan on getting an Oculus Rift S, but I'm not against a VIVE Cosmos in the future.
I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but if the price is similar, I would probably go with a Ryzen 3600 or 3600X rather than a 2700 for a build where VR performance is a concern, as those should be the better performers at moderately-threaded tasks like today's games. While the 2700 has more cores, the 3600 offers more performance per core. Especially at stock clocks, the 2700 (non-X) tends to drop its boost clocks significantly to around 3.5GHz or so when presented with...

WildCard999

Titan
This is $1,000? This list seems a bit more then that.

Anyways the 3700X, 16gb RAM & the RX 5700 XT would give you a good Oculus/Vive experience.

HDR is the monitor only, doesn't matter on the actual parts (performance won't get better or worse with HDR enabled).

Okay, here's my semi-final build. I scrapped everything and restarted, courtesy of pcpartpicker. What do you think, in terms of power and VR capability?
I plan on getting an Oculus Rift S, but I'm not against a VIVE Cosmos in the future.
I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but if the price is similar, I would probably go with a Ryzen 3600 or 3600X rather than a 2700 for a build where VR performance is a concern, as those should be the better performers at moderately-threaded tasks like today's games. While the 2700 has more cores, the 3600 offers more performance per core. Especially at stock clocks, the 2700 (non-X) tends to drop its boost clocks significantly to around 3.5GHz or so when presented with multithreaded workloads, while those other processor tend to maintain multithreaded boost clocks above 4GHz. Plus, the Ryzen 3000 processors feature an updated architecture that offers around 15% more performance per clock on average.

The result is that at stock clocks, the 3600 can be over 20% faster than the 2700 at light to moderately-threaded workloads, which is what you'll most often encounter, and even at the less-common heavily-multithreaded tasks that can utilize all available cores it should perform nearly on par with the 2700, despite having fewer cores. Even with the processors overclocked (or the 2700X that comes with higher stock clocks), those 8-core 2000-series processors will tend to perform around 10-15% behind the 6-core 3000-series offerings in the majority of scenarios where performance is limited by CPU performance. In many games, that performance difference will likely be smaller due to the system often having to wait for the graphics card to complete its rendering, but it could potentially mean the difference between keeping frame rates above a VR headset's refresh rate or not. It's possible that some future games in the years to come may see additional benefit from the extra cores of the 2700 and 2700X, but overall I think the 3600 or 3600X would be a better choice for gaming at higher refresh rates, like on a VR headset.

If you did go with a Ryzen 3000 processor, you should make sure the motherboard supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box though, otherwise you would need access to a 1000 or 2000-series processor to update the BIOS with. The MSI "MAX" B450 motherboards should be guaranteed to support Ryzen 3000 without requiring updates, as should a few others that came out after the 3000-series launched. With other boards that were out before, they may or may not, depending on when the board was manufactured. When buying one in a store, the updated ones would typically have a "Ryzen 3000" label on the box, but when buying online it can often be less clear. With that Gigabyte board, it may depend on when it was built. Some user reviews seem to indicate they come with Ryzen 3000 support now, but it's possible a store could have older units in stock.

Also, it should probably be pointed out that a Mini-ITX motherboard is relatively tiny, while again, that case is quite large. Typically one would only go with an ITX board if they were building in a very small case. You can find a comparison of how the sizes compare here...

ATX and Micro-ATX usually tend to have more expansion and connectivity options available than Mini-ITX, so one of those larger boards probably makes more sense for medium to large-sized cases.

Solution

RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
Sorry, that was the old list (Thank you for weaving the two threads together.). The new list has a 3700X, and a motherboard that SHOULD fit it. No more getting confused with the sizes, both the motherboard and the Case are full sized. Thank you very much for the advice.

Okay. I went through each item, and the availability of each item. As it turns out, some items are unavailable, and have an unknown date for return. Most radically, the Video Card. The rest are in my Amazon cart, ready to go.

I've been looking for some VR-ready video cards to use instead. This honestly looks like my best bet. It's pricey, but I'll just have to save up a couple of months if you think it's worth it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h2...nced-video-card-rog-strix-rtx2070s-a8g-gaming

RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
If my post looks like it doesn't match the build listed here, that's because it was in reply to a post in another thread. My post got moved here, but the one I was replying to did not, hence why I am referring to a Ryzen 2700 and a micro-ATX board. : P

A kind mod managed to put the two threads together. No worries, now I know why I made the changes I made better than I did before. Thank you.

What do you think of the video card choice?