VR Mag Docs Designed To Preserve Your Vive Controller’s USB Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
This is a solved problem, if it's actually a problem at all. https://www.amazon.com/HKW-Magnetic-MicroUSB-Charging-Cable/dp/B01AW3XF6U

It looks like they just added a 3d-printed stand.

A Vive controller usually dies from hitting a wall or ceiling, rather than from USB port wear, which is no worse than on cell-phones that last for years. The part that dies from (internal) wear is the lighthouses, which unfortunately have moving parts.

Mr Steenky

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
These stands are literally ripped from Thingiverse's D_Evans creation where he also links where to purchase the magnetic cables:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1575161

It's just too bad that if you try to update the controller firmware using magnetic cables, the update fails. I almost bricked my controllers thanks to these cables.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

There's not much you can do about hitting things other than wrap your room in rubber, but other parts are preventable.
Yes, you can get magnetic attachments, but the stand is very helpful too.
My vive controllers are always in the way on my desk and there's no convenient place to put them while charging. These offer a nice solution for that problem.

they aren't going to be for everyone, but I definitely like the idea.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Actually they aren't.
D_Evans, AKA Dylan Evans, is the founder of VR Mag Docks.
The version that he is selling have been updated and refined.

Mr Steenky

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

Well kudos to him then!

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hahahahaha....really? that's like saying Ohh... I have to plug my phone in every day to charge. Let me get a charge dock so it won't break the port. Come on! how many of you have a charge dock for your phone.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Yeah I'm just sitting here thinking I've had phones with microUSB ports that have seen nearly a thousand plug/unplug cycles without any noticeable wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS