VR Past, Present And Future: A Conversation With 'The VR Book' Author Jason Jerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic read, really enlightening. I never really took into consideration things like sound coming from a different direction than the source of the object that you see visually, or the fact that if you look down your legs aren't there. His whole focus on human interaction with VR, particularly using you're whole body for immersion rather than just your vision, was something not thought of previously by me.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

A lot of people haven't been considering that, especially people who haven't experienced VR yet.
The more time you spend with it, the more you realize what's necessary.

That's the main reason that I truly don't believe keyboard and mouse will ever work in VR. Even gamepads will have a short lifespan in VR I think.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
I could see something being strapped to your ankles and wrists for motion sensing.

Sixense stem is doing something like that.
I will be checking it out next week at GDC, so you can look forward to my impressions of how it works.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
Hopefully the experience outweighs the hassle of strapping a headset, controllers and sensors to your body and/or around your room. This all reminds a bit of "interactive tv", I don't want to vote, buy, request coupons or otherwise "interact", I just want to relax and watch freaking television for a little while.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The experience far outweighs the "hassle" (which I really don't find to be any at all)
If all you want to do is watch TV than VR is not going to replace that. Its a very different experience for a very different desire.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016

It was an analogy to watching television and the attempts that have been made (and mostly failed) to incorporate "interactivity" into the traditional "lean-back" experience (ditto for 3D). When I want to game and I sit down in front of my PC, then I want to game. It remains to be seen whether the VR gaming experience is compelling enough to make me want to go through the process and strap-on the requisite VR-widgets versus sitting down in front of a well sorted multi-monitor setup and get on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS