VR ready custom build?

Solution

It should. Since the 480s aren't out yet I don't know anything about benchmarks or how it will perform vs comparable cards yet but it definitely should be a fine setup.
That CPU...according to CPUboss is a touch slower than the minimum required CPU (for a vive) It might not be a problem but you could probably find something a little bit better. The GPU as is does not meet the minimum specs for VR either. From the testing that has been done the minimum spec is there for a reason anything less results in a pretty rough experience. But according to AMD the RX 480 should be sufficient. However, no testing has yet been done outside of AMD of which I am aware.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Here are the minimum requirements last I've heard:

http://www.octopusrift.com/building-a-vr-pc/

HTC Vive
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 or better
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 or AMD FX 8350 or greater
RAM: 4GB or more
Video port: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2, or better
USB port: 1 USB 2.0 or faster port
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Oculus Rift
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 or better
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 or greater
RAM: 8GB or more
Video port: HDMI 1.3
USB port: 2 USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

You will probably need to upgrade the CPU to something with at least 4 dedicated cores.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
It would not be VR ready. Being VR ready takes a pretty decent system.

You need at least 22.4k on SkyDiver 3Dmark test to be VR ready. You can overclock and tweak your system until you get to this point, but with a dual core and a GTX 950 I do not see that happening.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah but you're not going to get any decent frame rates on any VR unit with that setup. Plus with a locked CPU you're wasting money on the aftermarket cooler and the thermal compound. Plus Arctic Freezer coolers are complete crap and some of the absolute worst you could buy, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. So you could not buy those things and invest more money in a quad core i5 and you'd come out ahead in that area.

TheEliteBattleforce

Commendable
May 9, 2016

So wha your saying is that even with the Radeon RX 480 and i5 the frame rates would be garbage, making it not worth it?

g-unit1111

Titan

No I'm saying with the original setup with the i3-6100 that would struggle on VR. The i5-6500 is a way better investment for a VR setup, as is the RX 480.

TheEliteBattleforce

Commendable
May 9, 2016

So, if i got the i5 and RX 480 than it should run fine on VR?

g-unit1111

Titan

It should. Since the 480s aren't out yet I don't know anything about benchmarks or how it will perform vs comparable cards yet but it definitely should be a fine setup.

Solution