VR/VRE. That is the question?

G

For the Pentium 166 MMX, should the mboard be jumpered STD/VR or VRE?

(I can't figure it out--and I used to be a computer engineer!)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The non MMX is a VR, The VRE requires less voltage.
your mobo must support VRE to use a MMX CPU
Set the mobo to VRE for MMX CPU.
I hope that answered your question.

G

Gee, a straight answer! I could not get one from Micron, who made the mb (though they did answer all my e-mail very politely). It is indeed an MMX-supporting board, in the Millenia MXE, and has the jumpers I mentioned. Even after digging thru detailed specs I could not figure it out! Muchos gracias!

mpjesse

Splendid
That's cause all the ppl that work at Micron are snotty nose kids who were riding bikes and playing doctor when the P55C came out. I know because I used to be one. We're all old sk00l here =)

-MP Jesse

G

Makes a man wonder. You weren't seriously thinking about getting a STD, were you?

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Sorry, btw. But once your problem was resolved, I just couldn't resist the temptation anymore.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Ah, you laugh! But for a long time, I wouldn't turn the pc on w/o knowing which setting was right...then I gave in and fired it up the way it *was* jumpered! And it worked! It had a 166MMX in it jumpered *STD*. But it still bothered me. Soon after, I was running a program in Windows and it dead froze, so I started wondering again, immediately popped a vanilla 133 in, and here I am asking the knowledgeable!

G

Thanx, Crash. You might be amused by my 2:14 response to Tominator.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pentium-MMX uses dual voltage, VR/VRE is a voltage for Pentium classic, It is the way intel call different currents, before they invented numbers, so instead of saying 3.5v they write VRE , e.t.c. (i am not shure i remember numbers correctly). P-MMX uses split(or dual) 2.8v and 3.3V. so, if your m/b don't have that settings, put STD (standard) , and hope the board have autodetect feature (socket 7) .
It works for me.

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.