Question Vram limit on gaming, GTX 960

Eckoshy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
So I last upgraded my GPU in 2016-2017 I believe, to a GTX 960. It has a Vram limit of 2GB. I've never had any problems with it, some games I'd simply have to smack the settings down a little and get a butter smooth 60fps or higher. I recently purchased Doom Eternal though and for the first time ever even on the absolute lowest settings it's over my Vram limit. The game seems to require a minimum of 3GB.

My first question is, what are the actual consequences if I keep playing the game without enough Vram? The game seems to run fine. I havent done a framerate test but its definitely never dropped below 30. The game did freeze twice, but that might have just been a bug because the game is brand new and might need more patches. Like I said I've never had a problem with my Vram limit before, so I don't know if there's any dangers to continuing to play the game like this. Overheating or anything? Let me know please.

Secondly, if necessary I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to fix the problem . Would overclocking my GPU help? I've never actually messed with overclocking before because I'd prefer to keep my PC parts running for a long time, so I don't know if it would help with the Vram problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS