Vram Question_gtx 570 vs. hd 7850

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hey guys, I know you may hear this a lot. But currently I'm debating on which graphics card to buy. Right now I have narrowed down my choices to gtx 570 and hd 7850. There are a lot of good things out there about 7850.

Additionally, I'm trying to build a computer for occasional game plays, but most important for school. I need to do lots of architectural renderings all the time. Therefore games wise, the two cards work very similar; but since 7850 has 2GB vram, my question is, for rendering, does it make a big difference in rendering time and quality for the 2GB vram on hd 7850?

Thanks!

Solution

fantastik250

Distinguished
You need a stronger card for rendering. The GTX 570 is stronger. A lot people suggest that Nvidia's CUDA is good for most rendering needs. Mostly the CPU will do a lot of the rendering, some programs may use hardware acceleration through the GPU. But, a rule of thumb is to get a strong CPU such as the i7 and a fast system RAM not necessarily VRAM.

DM186

Splendid
^+1
The Vram is mainly used for more than one monitor or having your resolution above 1920 x 1200. Some of the new games that are out and are comming out may use more then 1 GB of Vram.

The i7 does hyper threading as well. Good luck to you.

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I don't think buying an i7 is a problem for me. The only problem is I can't figure out which i7 I need to buy since I have a very specific priority on what to do with my computer, building 3D models and renderings. Therefore I want to hear some professional opinions on which of the i7 will out perform others based on my requirement :)

Thanks!

DM186

Splendid
You should get the best of them and I believe it is a 6 core i7 3960k is the top dog and it is far from being cheap. It just about pushed me out of my chair when I saw the price.

Here is the hierarchy of the CPU's and Intels technical resources might help you in know what i7 CPU you would need. And the third link is the CPU it self with more info. If you find that is overboard.

Then look at the leser of the i7's I hope this stuff helps you a little. The fourth is Tom's hardwear's take on the i7. Good luck to you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/CoreTechnicalResources.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-performance,3026.html

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks bro. When I said getting an i7 core didn't really mean that I would drop 1k on a CPU with a big smile on my face. Plus I could only choose certain socket type to fit it into my motherboard. But I did go over the website links yo provides. Appreciate it!

I did have a panic attack after seeing the price too. Lol...

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Yes, those are the CPUs I've been looking at lately and having some hart time to consider which one to get.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

I can vouch for the 2600k. I do a lot of motion graphics rendering and my 2600k rarely tops 70% load; with its price, and overclocking potential, I would suggest you go for it. Couple that with at least 8Gb of RAM and you've got yourself a polygon crunching machine.

Also, make sure you have at least 8Gb of RAM. A SSD would also make a noticeable difference - you'll want to be getting the data to the processors as fast as they can process it.

As for the GPU, the 7850 is roughly 5% slower than the 570. That being said, the 7850 has much more overclocking potential:
The OC potential on the 7850 is enormous, on all accounts I've read, you're easily able to push the core clock speed to 1050 mhz without having to increase voltage, and your temps will still be very cool. That will already push you well past a stock 570, with virtually no risk in overheating or frying your card.

If it was me, I'd pay a little bit extra and get a 670 or 680.

Good luck and I hope this helps. :D

DM186

Splendid
Solution

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I decided to go with i7 3770k, which is almost the top line cpu that can fit into my motherboard. Since my friends will give me the asus sabertooth z77 board as my birthday gift (almost $250... I'm so excited), which allows me to have some extra money to spend on the cpu and other stuff :)

DM186

Splendid
That is good news and yeah I would be excited to because when I put this one together I couldn't wait to get it up in running. I made a mistake when building this one.

I starte to run out of money and had to take a short cut and the two GPU's and the PSU were the short cuts. At the time I didn't know much about GPUs or PSU's to boot.

Anyway they work for me and what kind of stuff I am into. But yours is way cool and you will enjoy your rig just don't take any short cuts. Good luck to you and have fun.

ls86

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

For sure man. This set up already went beyond my limit a little. But who can resist better parts when you can tighten your belt a little for the next couple months. Lol... Anyway... I hope this can come out nicely.

Good luck to you guys too!

Fermion94

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I actually made a similar build mostly for 3d rendering and a bit of gaming.

I went with the 570 and i7 3820 as it has support for quad channel memory (my motherboard even has 8 ram slots) I've heard that the quad channel memory doesn't increase performance by that much but the 3820 is cheaper than the 3770k and if you dont plan on doing extreme overclocking (i'd imagine you aren't if this is primarily a rendering machine it should be fine. The most important things for rendering are the cpu and the ram the vram shouldn't matter too much and the nvidia cards are better with things like cuda etc. either gpu should work though it's really your choice. I would focus on the processor/ram. Right now im running 16 gb of Samsung RAM (low stock speeds but overclocks extremely well and no heat-sinks but they really don't do much anyway mainly for looks) the nice thing is on the asrock extreme6 i have 4 more slots so upgrading to 32gb would be easy (although 16 should be plenty)

Status
Not open for further replies.