VRAMs getting to hot? Low fps

para123

Honorable
Oct 28, 2015
Hi guys pls help me if you can.
I got fx8350 with gtx 1060 6gb on a AsRock 970 extreme3 motherboard. Is it possible that my vram is getting hot that cousing low fps in games such as LoL csgo, overwatch. At the beginning when i bought cpu and gpu i had no such a problems, problems started few months after.ive tried to reinstall windows multiple times but it didnt help. I will write you down my full system specs.
Cpu: amd fx 8350 4.0ghz
Gpu: msi gtx 1060 6gb
Psu: antec 650w 80+ bronze
Mbo: asrock 970 extreme3 (bios version is 1.60)
Cooler: coolermasterhyper evo
Harddisk: 500gb 6years old
Monitor: LG flatron E2351
Windows 8.1
All drivers are up to date
My cpu and gpu temps are normal while playing. I've noticed high cpu usage sometimes in afterburner program.
As said i had no such problems before, low fps started happening after several months of playing with new cpu and gpu. Pls help :(

Solution
Your thermal margins are excellent; therefore it looks like the VRM causes the CPU throttling. Run Prime95 and make sure the CPU runs at its rated frequency until it drops to 1.4 GHz; how long does it take for throttling to occur? You have an excellent CPU cooler, but unlike the stock cooler, it doesn't blow air on the VRM.

Unless it really takes too long, let chkdsk complete the verification process.
"Is it possible that my vram is getting hot that causing low fps in games such as LoL csgo, overwatch."
Overheating is rarely an issue unless you've overclocked or modified your video card.
On the other hand if that is what your concerned about then you should look at the card while your system is on and make sure that fan(s) are spinning while you are running a game. Overheating video card issues usually manifest as glitchy graphics though.

I would do:
CHKDSK C: /R
then
do a defrag

Also scan your computer for malware/viruses. When you re-installed windows, was it just a re-install with the keep my programs option or did you format the hard drive first and do a fresh install?

After you have the game open minimize it then open task manager. Look at your running processes and see if any of them are eating up too much CPU.

It's Checkdisk.
Built into windows to fix disk errors. (Fairly common)
Disk errors can cause a very wide variety of issues including slowness/speed issues.
Open a command prompt
Type:
CHKDSK C: /R
and press enter

OR
Google it for alternative methods to start Checkdisk.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

My guess would be thermal throttling on the CPU VRMS on the mobo. I used to have an azrock z77 pro4-m and they used some really poor VRMS on this overclocking board. I had to use over 1.4v to get 4.6ghz with my 3770k which lead to a lot of heat on the cpu and throttling down to a 3ghz frequency momentarily.
I fixed this by simply cable tying a couple of 50mm fans to the VRM heatsinks.

The easiest way to check for a cpu throttle test is close background programs and disconnect from the internet then run cpu-z bench and run the stress test for 10 minutes to see if the score dips down.

Did you monitor the CPU with AMD Overdrive? Does the frequency drop to 1.4 GHz and if it does, what are the thermal margins just before and after it throttles? It's the easiest way to determine if the VRM throttles the CPU.

para123

Honorable
Oct 28, 2015
here guys. i took a screenshoot while in game and the moment my fps dropped. and i've turned on my amd overdriver to track what's going on. take a look and tell me what you think here's the link https://snag.gy/O5o7VP.jpg my frequency dropped to 1397 and the thermal margine is 44.2

i am also doing CheckDisk now, and it's stuck on 10% for a 15min already. should i wait till it ends?

Your thermal margins are excellent; therefore it looks like the VRM causes the CPU throttling. Run Prime95 and make sure the CPU runs at its rated frequency until it drops to 1.4 GHz; how long does it take for throttling to occur? You have an excellent CPU cooler, but unlike the stock cooler, it doesn't blow air on the VRM.

Unless it really takes too long, let chkdsk complete the verification process.

Solution