Question VRM cooling

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I'm getting a 9600k with Z370-p II and I wanna do moderate overclocking (~5ghz max). I'm no expert in VRM's but I know that the VRM cooling on that mb isn't the greatest and I was thinking of buying some MOSFET heatsinks. Should I get 6 of these (my mb has 9 phases but I think 3 of them aren only used for things like iGPU since they are placed in the upper side of the CPU - am I right?) for about 1.5 dollars each:

https://ro.farnell.com/fischer-elek...x-10/led-heatsink-with-pins-square/dp/1850041

Also, I have an old motherboard and I found something that looks like a radiator on it:

f9Efb1m.jpg

It's about 5x5x3 cm and I was wondering if I could use it on the new motherboard?
It doesn't seem to be made for cooling vrms tho, what is it supposed to cool?

This is how the mb looks without it
TgsIu1R.jpg

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm no expert in VRM's but I know that the VRM cooling on that mb isn't the greatest and I was thinking of buying some MOSFET heatsinks. Should I get 6 of these (my mb has 9 phases but I think 3 of them aren only used for things like iGPU since they are placed in the upper side of the CPU - am I right?) for about 1.5 dollars each:

https://ro.farnell.com/fischer-elek...x-10/led-heatsink-with-pins-square/dp/1850041
Your motherboard already has VRM heatsinks. Those are meant for putting on the VRM MOSFETs when your board doesn't have heatsinks.

I would guess it's for cooling the northbridge/chipset.

I'm getting a 9600k with Z370-p II and I wanna do moderate overclocking (~5ghz max). I'm no expert in VRM's but I know that the VRM cooling on that mb isn't the greatest and I was thinking of buying some MOSFET heatsinks. Should I get 6 of these (my mb has 9 phases but I think 3 of them aren only used for things like iGPU since they are placed in the upper side of the CPU - am I right?) for about 1.5 dollars each:

Also, I have an old motherboard and I found something that looks like a radiator on it:

f9Efb1m.jpg

It's about 5x5x3 cm and I was wondering if I could use it on the new motherboard?

This is how the mb looks without it
TgsIu1R.jpg
That's chipset and it's cooler, VRM chips are to the left of CPU socket and parts to put any coolers are small squares between the coils and 3 larger ones between those large capacitors-

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's chipset and it's cooler, VRM chips are to the left of CPU socket and parts to put any coolers are small squares between the coils and 3 larger ones between those large capacitors-
The OP isn't planning on buying the heatsinks for the board pictured in his post, he's planning on buying them for a Z370-P II. Which already has VRM heatsinks, hence my confusion.

Reactions: Corgoi

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019