[SOLVED] VRM Exploded?!? PSU or GPU's fault?

jlubird

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
This morning I was watching a YouTube video when my computer randomly shut down. After it powered back up (right away by itself) my Gtx 1080 started to spark. Since my GPU was out of warranty, I opened it up and found out that one of the VRMs exploded. I am now worried that the rest of my system is in danger of the same fate. I have a Corsair RM1000i which is rated 80+ Gold, but it could still be culprit. After I pulled out the 1080 I put in an old AMD GPU I had lying around and the computer worked fine. Currently, I have the computer powered off, but still plugged in, should I unplug it despite my SSDs? Is it likely that my PSU was the reason my GPU failed or was the VRM just faulty and couldn't handle it anymore?

P.S. I have had this computer for nearly 4 years now with only upgrades to the storage, otherwise everything is 4 years old. I just don't have that much money ATM and don't want to replace parts that I don't have to.

Picture of exploded VRM: View: https://imgur.com/a/iczHZ1h

Solution
GPU is likely dead. I mean it would be hard to repair. The shot chip is just the one that died first but the whole line has signs of overheating including the controllers. Probably overclocking echo.

The rest of the system should be fine.

Edit: I’d take it for parts if you are going to trash it.

jlubird

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Is there any way to test the PSU and make sure it was not the problem? Should I bring it to the local PC shop if there's not something I can do on my own?

You might be able to get it fixed by a tech expert, just by bypassing that certain voltage regulator circuit. Look for component level repair.

EDIT: ignore what i said here, vov4ik_il knows this stuff, i was kinda crapshooting. :)

Last edited:
GPU is likely dead. I mean it would be hard to repair. The shot chip is just the one that died first but the whole line has signs of overheating including the controllers. Probably overclocking echo.

The rest of the system should be fine.

Edit: I’d take it for parts if you are going to trash it.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS