VRM GPU blown, PSU fault?

Aug 6, 2018
Hi, one VRM of my old 7950 blown up, the pc suddenly went out and after several attempts to turn it on one vrm blown, its working now with the intel integrated GPU, the PSU its not the best but its not bad at all, its an aercool strike-x 800w silver, i want to buy a new card but i dont have enough money for a gpu+psu, this could be caused by the PSU? when the PC went off before the vrm blown, the pc didnt want to start it so i dont know if the GPU it was generating a short and the Psu didnt let it start to safe the system, what do you think guys? the psu is working ok now with no GPU for days, sry for bad english!

Solution

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

That's a bit of an exaggeration...but not much.

The reason why folks here recommend good power supplies is that they know that every single component in your computer is 100% dependent upon the power supply delivering exactly the right power, every single processor cycle. If your GPU goes bad...well, you have to use the integrated graphics for a bit. If your PSU goes bad...best case is your computer does not turn on, worst case is now you've managed to fry everything connected to the PSU (meaning your entire computer).

Never, ever skimp on a PSU. Good quality units can be had for less than $100 (depending on wattage needs). It is the one computer component that DIRECTLY touches every other computer component. Why risk it?

Aug 6, 2018

I had an allmighty ultra quality Corsair PSU and the coil whine and the noise of the Fan was terrible, then i changed it for this aerocool because thats the only psu they had on the same range price where i bought it 5 years ago, also i been looking on internet and nobody had problems with this Psu idk maybe i just wait to get some more money and buy psu+gpu thanks anyways

I doubt this. The cheapest Corsair PSUs are not considered the best. Some are good, some are bad.You have to look at the OEM and build quality. Yes the $160 dollar AXi series are fantastic, I have an AX860i thats just great, but the cheaper entry level CX have had ups and downs.

That said, you don't need to spend $200 dollars on a PSU however NEVER cheap out on a PSU. Its the most important part of the system. Buy a cheap PSU and you will suffer from it from it dying out faster to possibly killing components (possibly in your case the cause).

We recommend quality parts. Some are higher priced, some are decently priced. It depends on the build and how much someone wants to spend.

That said, you don't need an 800W PSU to feed a HD7950. Could have gotten away with a 600W probably (the 7950 requires a 500W PSU) which would have put you in the $100 dollar price range.

I highly suggest you replace the PSU and GPU together. Even if the PSU didn't cause the issue, SR-71 is a PSU master and knows a lot. Don't risk killing a new GPU.

Solution