Dec 7, 2021
Does anyone know if an Acer predator Helios 300 (2020) model no ph315-53 has decent built in vrm heat protection? My laptops motherboard isn’t showing sensors for the vrm and I would just like to know if the vrm got too hot, it would thermal throttle instead of cooking itself.
Thanks for reading.

Solution
laptops motherboard isn’t showing sensors for the vrm
what are you using to determine temperatures?
HWinfo will usually show a lot more information related to onboard sensors than most other system statistics software, even those available from the actual manufacturer.
I would just like to know if the vrm got too hot, it would thermal throttle instead of cooking itself.
i would doubt there are many, if any, here that have actually disassembled this exact model.
or that have worked in it's design that would know it's onboard software routines for regulating temperature.

you should try searching for the specific motherboard or possibly the laptop model + board in Google Image Search or something similar.
this way you...
laptops motherboard isn’t showing sensors for the vrm
HWinfo will usually show a lot more information related to onboard sensors than most other system statistics software, even those available from the actual manufacturer.
I would just like to know if the vrm got too hot, it would thermal throttle instead of cooking itself.
i would doubt there are many, if any, here that have actually disassembled this exact model.
or that have worked in it's design that would know it's onboard software routines for regulating temperature.

you should try searching for the specific motherboard or possibly the laptop model + board in Google Image Search or something similar.
this way you could see if there is any adequate VRM heatsinks or mini fans for them.

for tech data about the board you should try contacting Acer tech support.
though it may be difficult to find someone that could/would be able to tell you much.

Solution
Dec 7, 2021

this way you could see if there is any adequate VRM heatsinks or mini fans for them.

for tech data about the board you should try contacting Acer tech support.
though it may be difficult to find someone that could/would be able to tell you much.

mom using Hwinfo monitor, and it’s only showing gpu/cpu and pch temps. I’ve disassembled the laptop a few times and there is a heatsink for the vrms, but I don’t know how or even If this motherboard would throttle the vrm if it got too hot.

using Hwinfo monitor, and it’s only showing gpu/cpu and pch temps
there should be a sensor in the embedded controller for VRM & PCH.
i would imagine it's just a budget board and they haven't provided this sensor.

could also have something to do with battery life due to this being a laptop.
sometimes having these sensors reporting data constantly can use some system resources.

Dec 7, 2021
there should be a sensor in the embedded controller for VRM & PCH.
i would imagine it's just a budget board and they haven't provided this sensor.

could also have something to do with battery life due to this being a laptop.
sometimes having these sensors reporting data constantly can use some system resources.
Is there any way to manually enable these sensors

but only the mobo has access?
this would make no sense.
if they are there and operating then they would be readable by 3rd party software or they would at very least be visible in the BIOS.

what exactly are you worried about?
if there is an issue with this particular laptop then there will be many mentions of it on the manufacturer forums.
also there would be many customer reviews reflecting the issue wherever the laptop may be sold.

Dec 7, 2021
this would make no sense.
if they are there and operating then they would be readable by 3rd party software or they would at very least be visible in the BIOS.

what exactly are you worried about?
if there is an issue with this particular laptop then there will be many mentions of it on the manufacturer forums.
also there would be many customer reviews reflecting the issue wherever the laptop may be sold.
So if the laptop has no sensors for vrm, would it not be able to thermal throttle?