Question VRM Temp spike to 124c

chugginmilk

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Hey guys! I have an overclocked i7 9700k at 5ghz. I was running an AIDA64 stability test and my VRM temp spiked way up to 124c, along with some power and current spikes. I realize that this is probably my high LLC setting (level 6), but it seems like that is a pretty high spike. Is this normal or no? There are some pictures attached to help understand everything. Please let me know if there are any other specs you need from me. Thank you in advance!
SOUFdIE.png
La2U6NR.png
wiS1eXv.png
30TZCdp.png

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What board are you using? That chart/info is only relevant if there's a sensor on the board (and a sensor in the appropriate place!).
A 9700K at 5GHz, even at moderate load should have VRMs >38'C. So, if the "current" figure doesn't look right.... I wouldn't put too much weight behind the spike that's shown.

chugginmilk

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
What board are you using? That chart/info is only relevant if there's a sensor on the board (and a sensor in the appropriate place!).
A 9700K at 5GHz, even at moderate load should have VRMs >38'C. So, if the "current" figure doesn't look right.... I wouldn't put too much weight behind the spike that's shown.
It's an Asus strix-e z390 gamin, I haven't installed a sensor. where should i put it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't. The motherboard has sensors in various places, pretty much wherever there's room to stick one, in between the myriad of other stuff. You'll find them under the cpu, somewhere near the socket, next to the VRM's, next to Sata controllers etc. Very few components actually have thermal strips included in their makeup, like a cpu/gpu does.

I'm not so sure aida64 is being your friend to be honest, can't remember the last pc that had a cpu cooling fan that'd max at 10k rpm and I don't remember ever seeing a chassis fan that'd spin from 316rpm low to almost 2600rpm max.

I'm guessing that Aida64 uses AVX technologies in its stress test, and you have a 0MHz AVX offset set for that OC. Which will not only jack up temps unreasonably, but also mess with power usage.

Personally, I'd double check those results with HWInfo (NOT Hwmonitor!) and check the sensors only box. Use Prime95 v26.6, small fft.

Reactions: Barty1884

chugginmilk

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
You don't. The motherboard has sensors in various places, pretty much wherever there's room to stick one, in between the myriad of other stuff. You'll find them under the cpu, somewhere near the socket, next to the VRM's, next to Sata controllers etc. Very few components actually have thermal strips included in their makeup, like a cpu/gpu does.

I'm not so sure aida64 is being your friend to be honest, can't remember the last pc that had a cpu cooling fan that'd max at 10k rpm and I don't remember ever seeing a chassis fan that'd spin from 316rpm low to almost 2600rpm max.

I'm guessing that Aida64 uses AVX technologies in its stress test, and you have a 0MHz AVX offset set for that OC. Which will not only jack up temps unreasonably, but also mess with power usage.

Personally, I'd double check those results with HWInfo (NOT Hwmonitor!) and check the sensors only box. Use Prime95 v26.6, small fft.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it's weird that HwMonitor is showing my CPU Fan all over the place, it's just my AIO 3 pin connected there but its not actually controlling the fan. I had a negative 2 offset for AVX instructions. The main concern for me was the VRM temp spike as well as the current. I have the power limit and current max set to max in the bios, but it can't be normal for a jump that high. I will get HWinfo and not Monitor, what are the differences? Thanks again for your help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HWInfo is current, updated regularly. Hwmonitor isn't, but it's been around for years and it's known. It was written years ago, back long before many upgrades like Sata, USB 3, pcie etc became common place on a mobo, so you end up with a lot of confusing dead ends with wrong addressing. It's gotten so crazy with mobo's, that Hwmonitor reads my 12v rail as 8.32v, tmpin4 is 255°C and tmpin6 is -125°C, all of which are physically impossible and have the pc work. Even the author couldn't say where the tmpin reported from, the 4 primary temps were cpu, mosfets (VRM's), Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets, and could be in any combination. As of lga1156, Southbridge was only on Amd mobo's, and Northbridge was replaced, used to be ram/vram/pcie terminal, now it's just pcie as the memory controller was moved to the cpu. I've seen a couple of those tmpin's actually measured and correspond to sensors near a Sata controller at the bottom of the mobo next to a fan header.

Hwmonitor used to be very good, but that's no longer the case. HWInfo has superceded it in a big way.