[SOLVED] VRM

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Hello i have Asus Prime b360m-a motherboard. at first i used it in my gaming pc. it wasnt enough. VRM was heating up so much that my pc were crashing after 30 minutes in some games. so i bought new motherboard and today i am building pc for my dad and i want to use that Asus motherboard. he wants it mainly /99%/ for working like using word....as far as i know the motherboard should be ok for that from what i could see. so i dont want to give him not working system/motherboard so is there some kind of stresstest program to test motherboard or even whole system. if yes how is it called. i want to know if it will be enough for working.

also secondly i heard about some cooling pads or whatever for VRM mosfets. is it possible i can buy those to prevent crashing even when pc is at max performance?

Solution
You should not need to lower anything or undervolt anything either. The i7-8700 uses up to 126w under full boost conditions without a torture loop. The i5-8400, even under a full load won't ever exceed more than maybe 75w without running unrealistic AVX workloads. It will be perfectly fine to use that motherboard at the stock configuration. One thing you MIGHT want to do is get a better cooler than the stock cooler, OR, if you purchased an aftermarket cooler for your i7, then use the cooler for that with the i5. It might even be an identical cooler, but usually i7 parts that come with stock coolers come with a slightly beefier heatsink. That might have changed in recent years, IDK. It's been a while since I purchased a non-K Intel CPU...

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
i can actually lower cpu boost frequency or undervolting it a bit or whatever if that helps. this pc i am building for him is actually way quicker than he expected.

You should not need to lower anything or undervolt anything either. The i7-8700 uses up to 126w under full boost conditions without a torture loop. The i5-8400, even under a full load won't ever exceed more than maybe 75w without running unrealistic AVX workloads. It will be perfectly fine to use that motherboard at the stock configuration. One thing you MIGHT want to do is get a better cooler than the stock cooler, OR, if you purchased an aftermarket cooler for your i7, then use the cooler for that with the i5. It might even be an identical cooler, but usually i7 parts that come with stock coolers come with a slightly beefier heatsink. That might have changed in recent years, IDK. It's been a while since I purchased a non-K Intel CPU that came with a cooler. Most of what I buy requires aftermarket cooling from the get-go.

Solution

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello i have Asus Prime b360m-a motherboard. at first i used it in my gaming pc. it wasnt enough. VRM was heating up so much that my pc were crashing after 30 minutes in some games. so i bought new motherboard and today i am building pc for my dad and i want to use that Asus motherboard. he wants it mainly /99%/ for working like using word....as far as i know the motherboard should be ok for that from what i could see. so i dont want to give him not working system/motherboard so is there some kind of stresstest program to test motherboard or even whole system. if yes how is it called. i want to know if it will be enough for working.

also secondly i heard about some cooling pads or whatever for VRM mosfets. is it possible i can buy those to prevent crashing even when pc is at max performance?
people dont think to much about details when buying pc parts...after that what happened???now its hard to fix...what pc case u have and do u use extra fans...

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
You should not need to lower anything or undervolt anything either. The i7-8700 uses up to 126w under full boost conditions without a torture loop. The i5-8400, even under a full load won't ever exceed more than maybe 75w without running unrealistic AVX workloads. It will be perfectly fine to use that motherboard at the stock configuration. One thing you MIGHT want to do is get a better cooler than the stock cooler, OR, if you purchased an aftermarket cooler for your i7, then use the cooler for that with the i5. It might even be an identical cooler, but usually i7 parts that come with stock coolers come with a slightly beefier heatsink. That might have changed in recent years, IDK. It's been a while since I purchased a non-K Intel CPU that came with a cooler. Most of what I buy requires aftermarket cooling from the get-go.
ok thank u very much. i am not going to OC. running everything on default isnt issue as my dad wants it only for work. i am going to only increase speed of case fans and cpu fan to maximum for the best cooling possible. i have stock cooler from my i7 8700and also from brother´s i9 9900KF. i am going to put one on there and if my dad encouters some problem we will buy proper cpu cooler.

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
people dont think to much about details when buying pc parts...after that what happened???now its hard to fix...what pc case u have and do u use extra fans...
its pretty much smaller standard, older pc case....basically my dad isnt as rich as other people so i am salvaging as much parts as i can.

ok thank u very much. i am not going to OC. running everything on default isnt issue as my dad wants it only for work. i am going to only increase speed of case fans and cpu fan to maximum for the best cooling possible. i have stock cooler from my i7 8700and also from brother´s i9 9900KF. i am going to put one on there and if my dad encouters some problem we will buy proper cpu cooler.
The 9900KF doesn't come with a fan, so you can't have a stock fan for that. If that has a fan, it came with some other CPU and somebody put it on there, which they shouldn't have done because there is no stock cooler than can handle the 9900K/KF, 10700K/KF or higher models. They should all be run with extra large coolers or liquid cooling.

The cooler from the i7-8700 will work fine on there at the stock configuration. You should not need to "increase speed of case fans and CPU fan" to cool it and if you do, then you need MORE case fans and a BETTER CPU cooler, so that you do not have to run them at abnormal speeds. You want to be able to keep your parts cool while using LOWER speeds, not higher speeds. Higher speeds should be reserved for when there is a full load or when there is a problem. If you have to run anything at high speed for normal conditions, then you are not going to have the necessary cooling capability when or if there is a problem or an unusually large or demanding work load.

That doesn't mean you have to be rich. You can often find good used parts for very reasonable prices. I don't advise buying using graphics cards, motherboards or power supplies, if it can be avoided, but for everything else it is always an option so long as you are careful about your purchases.