[SOLVED] VS 550 with an RTX 2060. I brought this upon me :-|

Jan 5, 2020
I had this Zotac RTX 2060 for over 5 months now it has micron memory. My dumbass couldn't afford a better psu than the vs 550 2018 at the time of purchase. I was just messing around trying to find a stable OC with afterburner and tried +160Core clock, +500mhz memory and left the power at 100% as in stock settings, voltage control was still locked. I have done this before even +750mhz on memory and had a good jump in performance however this time game crashed and i could clearly smell something like an electric wire burning for a couple of seconds (no visual smoke) but my pc was still running and was able to close everything and shutdown properly then i opened my case and took a good look, nothing seems to be burnt in the gpu or mobo at least visually. No sign of any burning smell anywhere either. Can't be sure about my psu. I did check the wall sockets nope nothing. Pc turns on fine I'm typing from it and I'm starting to regret getting this psu but is it possible for an RTX 2060 to get physically damaged on this kind of oc with a better psu?
Screenshot of Afterburner OSD moments before crash.
PC Specs :
CPU - Intel Core i7 8700
GPU - Zotac RTX 2060 Twin Fan
Motherboard - MSI Z-370 A-PRO
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper H410R
Monitor - 1. ACER KG241QP 144Hz, 2. AOC 60Hz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2X8GB 3000MHz (CL16 20 20 38)
PSU - Corsair VS 550 2018
Cabinet - Corsair Carbide SPEC-01, 1 Front Intake & 2 Exhausts on top

Solution
is it possible for an RTX 2060 to get physically damaged on this kind of oc with a better psu?
No. Nvidia was much too conservative with the power and voltage limits. You literally cannot kill that gpu using gpu software. But users can still kill the gpu by way of:
-sustained critical temps for extended periods of time
-crap power supplies
-exposure to liquids or moisture while in operation
-mistakenly using electrically conductive thermal paste
-flashing the wrong vbios
-hacking the vbios to remove those conservative limiters, and then getting too ambitious on the overclock

If I were you, I'd disassemble the PC, and carefully inspect everything. Something was CLEARLY damaged - while there aren't any immediate signs yet...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is it possible for an RTX 2060 to get physically damaged on this kind of oc with a better psu?
No. Nvidia was much too conservative with the power and voltage limits. You literally cannot kill that gpu using gpu software. But users can still kill the gpu by way of:
-sustained critical temps for extended periods of time
-crap power supplies
-exposure to liquids or moisture while in operation
-mistakenly using electrically conductive thermal paste
-flashing the wrong vbios
-hacking the vbios to remove those conservative limiters, and then getting too ambitious on the overclock

If I were you, I'd disassemble the PC, and carefully inspect everything. Something was CLEARLY damaged - while there aren't any immediate signs yet, whatever got bruised will show itself in time...

Reactions: Vishman
Solution