[SOLVED] VS450 Enough For RTX 2060?

Oct 6, 2020
Yes I know the VS450 isn't the greatest psu but at the moment I have a GTX 1050TI and works great but I'm looking to upgrade to a RTX 2060 (recomended 500W according to nvidia)

I have done many power supply calculators and with my components the load is average to 380-390

would my VS450 PSU be able to handle this?

Thankyou :D

Solution
Hey my friend that 450w is no good. It might fry your video card or other component. It is a old 450w with probably a very bad ampage on the 12v rail. I wouldn't try it as your box might explode no joke. 🙈👶🤷‍♂️💯
While I would not recommend the VS450 for anything more than a low power GPU, it's not a 'bad' unit as you call it, and it's not likely to 'fry' a video card. It has 432 watts on the +12volt rail which is fine for a unit in its class. Nobody's 'box might explode' is going to happen. The VS has a full list of protective circuitry including OVP, UVP, OTP, OPP, OCP, SCP and surge and inrush current protections. If you're not familiar with what those are you should learn them. You're not being fair to Corsair at all...
Yes I know the VS450 isn't the greatest psu but at the moment I have a GTX 1050TI and works great but I'm looking to upgrade to a RTX 2060 (recomended 500W according to nvidia)

I have done many power supply calculators and with my components the load is average to 380-390

would my VS450 PSU be able to handle this?

Thankyou :D
Watt its not the only factor to buy a PSU. The quality of the PSU itself matters too. Corsair VS series PSU's are bad and corsair mostly reccomend them for office PC's (with APU) and not with computers with an RTX 2060. I personally used a VS450 with an old PC with a GTX660 (450W reccomended PSU) and after a week the motherboard was dead and i believe it was the PSU. You either invest 80-90$ for a good 550-650W PSU or you risk your 300$ GPU or the other components.

Oct 6, 2020
Watt its not the only factor to buy a PSU. The quality of the PSU itself matters too. Corsair VS series PSU's are bad and corsair mostly reccomend them for office PC's (with APU) and not with computers with an RTX 2060. I personally used a VS450 with an old PC with a GTX660 (450W reccomended PSU) and after a week the motherboard was dead and i believe it was the PSU. You either invest 80-90$ for a good 550-650W PSU or you risk your 300$ GPU or the other components.

So your saying it's a miracle it;s running my 1050ti?

Oct 6, 2020
Ok well Thanks for your advice What do you think of these power supplies
EVGA 700 GQ 700W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply
or
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

I'm aware of what fully/semi modular means btw
EVGA is good i have the 650W version. For Corsair look for the RMx650 and not RM650. Also you should take a look at Seasonic and superflower PSU's they have really good quality PSU's.

Oct 6, 2020
EVGA is good i have the 650W version. For Corsair look for the RMx650 and not RM650. Also you should take a look at Seasonic and superflower PSU's they have really good quality PSU's.
Narrowed it down to two options as I'm looking to future proof my psu
Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
or
EVGA SuperNOVA GA Series 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Also Fully modular would help in tidying up the cables :D

or

Both are good quality with 10 year warranty. If there is a difference in price then i would go with the cheaper one.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey my friend that 450w is no good. It might fry your video card or other component. It is a old 450w with probably a very bad ampage on the 12v rail. I wouldn't try it as your box might explode no joke. 🙈👶🤷‍♂️💯

Oct 6, 2020
Yeh i kinda saw this answer coming because I was aware it's only 80+ white so i'm going to get a EVGA 650 GA 80+ Gold fully mod and an Rtx 3060 when it comes out :D

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yeh i kinda saw this answer coming because I was aware it's only 80+ white so i'm going to get a EVGA 650 GA 80+ Gold fully mod and an Rtx 3060 when it comes out :D
Yes my friend, and btw even a Bronze 80+ rating would do the job for you. If your on a budget let me know and I will pick out the best PSU for your needs. Also with 650w you will get nice headroom. Your system will pull 400watts + when gaming or using 100 percent CPU usage. So that is why your current 450w is just not enough and once again the amps on the 12v rail probably suck big time. Anyhow let me know if you need help finding the best PSU for your needs like I said.🤷‍♂️👀💯🙈👽

or

There's not even a single review on the SuperNOVA GA series... that's a bad sign to start really. I wouldn't trust it unless I have a clear picture of the platform used, internal components and performance numbers.

I'd definitely get the Seasonic Focus FX over the EVGA, but... this has it's own problems aswell.
The older FX/FM revisions, compared to the newer GM/GX, will trigger OCP(over current protection) and shutdown or ripple a lot on GPUs that have high transients(really high power draw peaks). Fortunately that's not the case with the RTX 2060 as it's quite efficient when it comes to power draw, but with higher end card like the new RTX 3080 that might be an issue.

If the Focus GX/GM is available to you, I'll advise getting that instead.

What's the full system specifications of your build: motherboard, CPU, GPU(we already know), RAM, PSU(we know as well).

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes my guru up above. You can't risk your entire system with a crummy PSU. You should just go with a popular mid tier PSU like a EVGA G3 550w and you would be fine, however I can't guarantee you a 4080 video card would work properly with a 550w. But that is the future but for now just go with what I said or even a Corsair RM series would do fine.🤷‍♂️💯👀👶✌

While I would not recommend the VS450 for anything more than a low power GPU, it's not a 'bad' unit as you call it, and it's not likely to 'fry' a video card. It has 432 watts on the +12volt rail which is fine for a unit in its class. Nobody's 'box might explode' is going to happen. The VS has a full list of protective circuitry including OVP, UVP, OTP, OPP, OCP, SCP and surge and inrush current protections. If you're not familiar with what those are you should learn them. You're not being fair to Corsair at all.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076.html

Solution