Question VSync not resolving lag issues (massive fps drops in fortnite)

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Hi,

I have put on VSync for Fortnite after issues with massive fps drops. VSync doesnt change anything except cap the framerate for me, i am still getting a very laggy game and when i look around the game is very laggy. Here is my system: Please suggest something i can do, i think I just need to upgrade my system though!

Monitor: ASUS VS229 - 60hz

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB

CPU: AMD FX-6300

RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR3 (shows at 933mhz)

MOBO: MSI 970 GAMING

PSU: CORSAIR CS650M

boju

Titan
Ambassador
First couple of things you should do is monitor CPU usage, CPU speeds and temperatures in and out of Fortnite.

1. Doing nothing (not running game), monitor CPU usage in task manager. Monitor temps with HWinfo64.
  2. Use Msi Afterburner OSD to display stats in-game showing live CPU usage/speed, CPU/GPU temps and memory usage. There's a wide range of other stats to use.
What you're looking for is CPU usages and temps in correlation with CPU speed when playing or sitting idle at desktop. Hopefully CPU isn't reaching 65c+ while playing and isn't throttling to lower speeds to cool down. And hoping CPU usage is minimal doing nothing.

CPU usage would be reasonably high playing Fortnite (multiplayer taxes CPU) but if CPU is throttling it would make things worse if speed is decreased due to heat.

If temperatures check out we can look at other possible causes.

Regarding your ram, programs usually read single data rate and not double which is normal, 933*2 = 1866. Check bios for double data rate readings.

Last edited:
Reactions: LewisMann

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
First couple of things you should do is monitor CPU usage, CPU speeds and temperatures in and out of Fortnite.

1. Doing nothing (not running game), monitor CPU usage in task manager. Monitor temps with HWinfo64.
  2. Use Msi Afterburner OSD to display stats in-game showing live CPU usage/speed, CPU/GPU temps and memory usage. There's a wide range of other stats to use.
What you're looking for is CPU usages and temps in correlation with CPU speed when playing or sitting idle at desktop. Hopefully CPU isn't reaching 65c+ while playing and isn't throttling to lower speeds to cool down. And hoping CPU usage is minimal doing nothing.

CPU usage would be reasonably high playing Fortnite (multiplayer taxes CPU) but if CPU is throttling it would make things worse if speed is decreased due to heat.

If temperatures check out we can look at other possible causes.

Regarding your ram, programs usually read single data rate and not double which is normal, 933*2 = 1866. Check bios for double data rate readings.
My CPU shows from 85-100% when Fortnite is open. My GPU is around 45% usage!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well if cpu is getting that hot it is throttling to slow speeds to help itself cool down. You are reading Celcius not Fahrenheit?

Need to get that sorted. Check heatsink is on properly and fans are spinning. May need to redo your cooling and reapply thermal paste. If you're not sure how, have a friend help you.

Yup, if that is indeed 100C, CPU is definitely overheating. Needs a good cleaning to get rid of dust on CPU heatsink, reseating the heatsink / reapplying thermal paste, or even upgrading the entire cooler to a better model.

That being said, FX6300 is quite obsolete today and will struggle to feed that 1060 in most games, as you can already see.

Reactions: LewisMann

TRENDING THREADS