Vsync on = Increased FPS

emil.121318

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hi, i have a Laptop with an i7-7700HQ CPU and 1050 GTX TI and recently tried playing with Vsync on while playing My Summer Car. I should probably say that My Summer Car doesn't have the best optimizations but i am still wondering why having Vsync on would increase my FPS and also CPU temps as far as i could tell.

Solution
Maybe with vsync off your laptop is free to run at high framerate. This causes it to throttle down due to the increased heat related to high framerates. This results in lower framerates.

Then you enable vsync. This caps your framerate to 60 if you have a 60hz display. Because your computer is no longer working so hard to crank out high framerates, it does not throttle down at all or as much. This ironically results in better framerate overall.
Maybe with vsync off your laptop is free to run at high framerate. This causes it to throttle down due to the increased heat related to high framerates. This results in lower framerates.

Then you enable vsync. This caps your framerate to 60 if you have a 60hz display. Because your computer is no longer working so hard to crank out high framerates, it does not throttle down at all or as much. This ironically results in better framerate overall.

Solution

stdragon

Admirable

Possible, if the system was thermal throttling in the first place. But once VSYNC is enabled, if the GPU could otherwise push beyond 60 FPS, VSYNC will limit how hard the GPU is having to work. However, if the GPU could only reach, say, 40 FPS, then no way would VSYNC help in this regard. In that scenario, the GPU is already working 100% duty cycle anyways.

So just to clarify, VSYNC wont give you 60 FPS, rather, it limits it to 60 FPS if that's the limit of the monitors refresh cycle.