Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi,

I have the below specs,
i7 4790
GTX1070FE
16GB Ram
LG Ultrawide 2560x1080 @60hz

My rig can handle any game it runs at ultra 60FPS, however normally frams drops to 50s and its noticeable when stuttering.

How can avoid this? Turn off in game vsync and Activiate Adaptive Sync in nvidia control panel? Will this affect input lag, i'm not a competitive player am just casual player playing for fun and mainly campaigns.

Thanks

Solution
No Sync at all and you play on 60Hz monitor: Screen tearing
Fix:
VSync: problem is fixed but causes issues if the fps dips below 60 and could add input lag.
Adaptive VSync: VSync is only active if fps goes above 60
Tripple buffering: another method (not sync but frame buffering) trying to fix screen tearing. can be used together with VSync/AVSync but should add inputlag.
nVidia fast Sync: new Sync method by nVidia. Should work better than VSync but still not the best.
Adaptive Sync (GSync/FreeSync): the best method but you need special monitors for this.
Get a fast monitor 144/165Hz: no screen tearing will be visible. You do not really need any Sync.
I would disable vsync completely unless you clearly see what is called “screen tearing,” where an image seems to be “cut in half.” This way you make sure you have maximum performance.

Also try using "framerate cap" ingame otion and set it to 60. This way you make sure you FPS does not fluctuate betweeen, say, 80 and 50 and is more smooth.

If you do notice tearing, you enable 'fast sync' in nvidia control panel for that specific game and enable vsync in game options.

Unlike adaptive sync, the GPU can keep rendering frames without waiting for the monitor to refresh after each frame. It may introduce microstutters, and only if it does you should opt to adaptive sync.

No Sync at all and you play on 60Hz monitor: Screen tearing
Fix:
VSync: problem is fixed but causes issues if the fps dips below 60 and could add input lag.
Adaptive VSync: VSync is only active if fps goes above 60
Tripple buffering: another method (not sync but frame buffering) trying to fix screen tearing. can be used together with VSync/AVSync but should add inputlag.
nVidia fast Sync: new Sync method by nVidia. Should work better than VSync but still not the best.
Adaptive Sync (GSync/FreeSync): the best method but you need special monitors for this.
Get a fast monitor 144/165Hz: no screen tearing will be visible. You do not really need any Sync.

Solution
Dec 22, 2018
From what I understand adaptive v sync basically turns off v sync when things drop below your desired refresh rate . So if you are at 60 hz but you playing a game that will go between 40 and 100 . Turn on adaptive. I guess regular v sync starts having problems when your frame rate drops below the desired.

Your welcome , the drunken tech guy