VTX3D Radeon HD7870 (driver?) crashing

Chaotix94

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
At seemingly random points, and this is all the detail i have; The AMD graphics driver crashes, And leaves my 1st monitor (running from HDMI in the graphics card) Running at a different resolution, and with a purple tint across it. This also causes sound to completely stop from that screen however the other screen, running off SCART is unaffected. If i restart it clears off, if i carry on playing whatever game or whatever i was doing. It BSOD's the entire computer, I belive the BB code (i think thats its name) From the BSOD was 7e. other than that, theres no reports or anything that i can locate from the main crash as it, according to windows, Recovers sucessfully.

This has been going on for a good 5 months now and ive not seen or heard another person on the internet have this specific issiue.

If anyone knows anyway i can get more details for you let me know and ill do it asap.

Help me toms hardware. You're my only hope

Nice touch on the Star Wars reference at the end. If it was. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Are you in an EU country? Just wondered because it's doubtful most people here in the states even know what SCART is. So my thoughts are either a corrupted driver or a failing card. Are you using integrated graphics or an add in card? Specs and model numbers? Motherboard?

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2177560/post-detailed-computer-specs.html

Chaotix94

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Its an Add in card. and as for my spec, ill paste stuff from CPU-Z below

Motherboard - AMD A6-3670 - F1A55-M LK R2.0 - BUILT IN RADEON HD 6530D CARD ON BOARD
Ram - CORSAIR GDDR5 8GB x2
Graphics - in topic name xD

I'd start by going into the BIOS or Catalyst control center and making sure the onboard graphics are disabled. It may be enabled and is trying to run as the default graphics adapter or trying to run in a dual graphics type configuration. Make sure you have the Catalyst control center version 14.4 installed. If not, or if you have an older version installed, you can download it here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages

Chaotix94

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
well. after some 4 times i attempted that above solution it turns out to have done absolute fanny adams (nothing whatsoever) thanks though.

Any other ideas anyone?

Try this, it works better than trying to get old pieces of drivers and lingering bits off the system manually, which is often the reason for driver related crashes. If it doesn't work after following these steps I'd RMA the card.

Download Display driver uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Download Catalyst 14.9 drivers here: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14-9-win7-win8.1-64bit-dd-ccc-whql.exe

Run display driver uninstaller, it will remove all traces of previous driver installations including failed installations, referenced files, half installed hardware or corrupted drivers. Choose the AMD option, and if you've ever had an NVidia card installed, run it again after the AMD profile finishes and run it for NVidia too.

After that completes, reboot and install the Catalyst control center 14.9 which is the latest driver package for your card and may resolve issues with the 14.4 drivers. If this fails to correct the problem I'd RMA the card or replace it.

Chaotix94

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
So i tried the above option and it didn't work, and my ate sent me his old card, an asus AMD 7770 i think. and it blue-screened immediately. then, the next morning. i put my old faulty card back in. and the issue has not recurred. i belive its fixed. if this dosent get edited then assume it is.

i really wish i could tell you why it works now but it just makes NO sense. still. if youve got another card handy and youve got this problem. swap them back and forth, a little 1-2 if you will. worked for me... i think :D thanks for the help :D

Most likely it reset the driver framework, installing a different model card and then putting yours back in.

Also try this. Go into device manager and at the top under view select show hidden devices.

Go down to display adapters and see if there are any listed that are not your current adapter. If there are, right click on them and select delete and also in the next box, remove device driver. This should help remove any previous card drivers as well that might be causing conflicts.

It might actually be a good idea to open every device category in there to see if there is old hardware listed (Greyed out) that can be removed. Anything you know is not a currently listed in grey usb device (USB device configurations are retained so it will be already configured when you connect the device) can be deleted. Sometimes old device drivers and configurations that are retained can cause conflicts with installed hardware even though the device isn't actually still present.