VX4400B Replacing broken LCD Cover

Well, it happened. I bumped something and broke the outer clear plastic LCD
cover on my VX4400. I did a search and found the information for ordering a
new one (4.89+.98 for the tape+tax, minimum order =$10, which is more than
the post said) and it is one the way. The order taker said, "Make sure you
take it to a Verizon technician. Many people ruin their phone trying to
replace this because the LCD underneath it is too fragile, Do not try to
replace it yourself."

Has anyone had experience replacing this? Is it really that dangerous to
do? If it will likely ruin the phone, has anyone had Verizon replace it -
and if so - how much did they charge?

Thanks,

Mac

"radiomac" <radiomac@comcast.net> wrote in message
| Well, it happened. I bumped something and broke the outer clear plastic
LCD
| cover on my VX4400. I did a search and found the information for ordering
| new one (4.89+.98 for the tape+tax, minimum order =$10, which is more than
| the post said) and it is one the way. The order taker said, "Make sure
you
| take it to a Verizon technician. Many people ruin their phone trying to
| replace this because the LCD underneath it is too fragile, Do not try to
| replace it yourself."
|
| Has anyone had experience replacing this? Is it really that dangerous to
| do? If it will likely ruin the phone, has anyone had Verizon replace it -
| and if so - how much did they charge?

I have Kyocera with the same problem except no one will sell me the part.
Kyocera say contact VZN, VZN says contact Kyocera.

Could you please let me know where you found the replacement cover?
I've followed the VZN site without results. Asked VZN CS, and they
said LG. Checked LG site without results. They don't make it very
easy.

Thanks,
LS

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:54:49 GMT, "radiomac" <radiomac@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Well, it happened. I bumped something and broke the outer clear plastic LCD
>cover on my VX4400. I did a search and found the information for ordering a
>new one (4.89+.98 for the tape+tax, minimum order =$10, which is more than
>the post said) and it is one the way. The order taker said, "Make sure you
>take it to a Verizon technician. Many people ruin their phone trying to
>replace this because the LCD underneath it is too fragile, Do not try to
>replace it yourself."
>
>Has anyone had experience replacing this? Is it really that dangerous to
>do? If it will likely ruin the phone, has anyone had Verizon replace it -
>and if so - how much did they charge?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mac

I found the information at the following location. The information is very
useful. It took me longer to find where I located the information
originally than it did to replace the LCD cover. Note: The prices in the
post below are out of date. The minimum order is $10. Without the
knowledge of the post, I would have paid $10 for one - the price I was
quoted since $10 is minimum order. I told the LG order taker about the
pricing I had. He said, "Oh, a smart consumer, huh?" He said if I ordered
2, it would be $12 + change plus sales tax. That included the LCD cover
plus the double sided tape that holds it in place. 2 of them cost me $14 and
a few pennies. I'll keep the other one in case it happens again to my wife's
phone or mine again. I've never had this happen before and was just sick
when I saw what happened. I'm feeling a lot better now.

BTW, the hardest part of the replacement was removing the old tape. I
suggest using a small flat blade screwdriver or similar tool and working
from the LCD side towards the outside so the blade cannot slip and go into
the LCD. Also, I tried to use the small screwdriver to remove the old cover
and could tell that it was too dangerous to use around the LCD screen. I
used a small blade and tweezers to take the crack towards the outside edges
of the plastic cover then used the small blade to lift the cover. I
actually had to break it into several smaller pieces. I suggest taking it
to a Verizon store if you are not comfortable performing the procedure. I
found another post in (I think) Howard's forum that said the Verizon store
technician would replace it free if you took them the part.

http://www.tomtracey.com/vx4400_faq.htm

LG VX4400 User's Manual / FAQ [v0.6]

The official FAQ of the LG VX4400 Support group on Yahoo!

Replacing cracked outside LCD covers - If you crack your outside LCD cover
(a common problem) it is easy (and cheap!) to fix. Call LG Customer Service
at 800-793-8896 and make the selection for Parts Ordering. You'll connect
with a representative who will help you order your parts. You'll need to
order part number MWAF0005301 (Window, LCD (sub)). {Note - the 4400B has
part number MWAF0005302 - Mac}

The parts are $3.69 each, however LG will only let you order a minimum of
$10. The easiest way here is to simply order three (then you have two
spares - which you could either sell on-line, or keep for your next clumsy
moment) :). Installation is easy - take a thin bladed knife of screwdriver
and insert it into one of the cracks in the plastic. Lift a small amount
and repeat the process around the cover until it is removed. Be careful not
to scratch the underlying LCD! Remove the shipping film from the new cover
and you will notice a small tab at the bottom. Align this with the tab on
the phone and press the new part into place.

"Lone Stranger" <LoneStranger@disney.com> wrote in message
> Could you please let me know where you found the replacement cover?
> I've followed the VZN site without results. Asked VZN CS, and they
> said LG. Checked LG site without results. They don't make it very
> easy.
>
> Thanks,
> LS
>

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:54:49 GMT, "radiomac" <radiomac@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Well, it happened. I bumped something and broke the outer clear plastic
LCD
> >cover on my VX4400. I did a search and found the information for ordering
> >new one (4.89+.98 for the tape+tax, minimum order =$10, which is more
than
> >the post said) and it is one the way. The order taker said, "Make sure
you
> >take it to a Verizon technician. Many people ruin their phone trying to
> >replace this because the LCD underneath it is too fragile, Do not try to
> >replace it yourself."
> >
> >Has anyone had experience replacing this? Is it really that dangerous to
> >do? If it will likely ruin the phone, has anyone had Verizon replace
it -
> >and if so - how much did they charge?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mac

If your concerned: bring it to a VZW store or agent. Most will due it for
free. Most (well I wouldn't) will not charge you for 3 minutes of time. But
you can do it yourself. If the outer LCD is already cracked/broke, then it
can come out in pieces. And many times the "tape" stays on the phone. The
dr.

Tools: thumb, carefulness, pocket knife using its smallest/thinnest blade.
If you elect to use an exacto knife "beware". You'll be "prying" the screen
up, and if the blade "snaps", then it may get into your eye or worse.
Caution/Concern: When you pry up the screen, keep the knife edge as a
minimum, else you'll "slip" and poke down thru the real display.... that one
won't be cheap.

Directions:
- Work a small knife under and around all the edges of the plastic cover
and it will pop right out. I usually place my thumb on the top side of the
plastic so it doesn't "break" the top LCD. (We remove them from broken
phones and use them as you are doing here, so we need the plastic intact)

- if the glue remains on the phone part, lay down the new plastic, and are
done. Note there may be a "film" on your new piece of plastic, so make
sure it is removed.

If the glue does not remain on the phone part, remove it carefully, apply
the new glue patch to the phone first, and then lay down the plastic.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.