VXpro Memory

G

Hi - could anyone please advise on the exact type of DIMM or SIMM memory to purchase for a Matsonic, MS-5120 motherboard? It has the VXpro chipset - currently it has 2, 8MB SIMMs installed. The motherboard manual is very vague as to what spec of memory to use, it only lists the amount of SIMMs and DIMMs that can be used (also states that either SIMMs or DIMMs can be used - but not at the same time). I have tried a 64MB, PC100 spec DIMM out of another computer but the BIOS only reports 16MB. Ideally I believe that the most cost-effective way to proceed would be to junk the SIMMs and go for a single 64MB, DIMM. The only other way open to me would be to purchase additional SIMMs which will probably be more expensive - however if this is the only route then so be it. Anyway any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!! :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your chipset is not able to adress memory chips (the individual chips) larger than a certain size, probably 2MB per chip (that would be 16 chips on a 32MB DIMM!). This is an old style of SDRAM that is no longer in production and is very expensive. You can get it from Crucial I think if you do your search by motherboard. But I would just put more SIMMS in it.

Suicide is painless...........