[SOLVED] W10 BSODS after adding new ram stick

Apr 1, 2019
Hi,
I added a new ram stick to my pc; same brand, same memory size and same speed. Since then, I started getting BSODS with errors such as: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION.
I've ran 2x8 same memory but one of the sticks was corrupted so I sent it back, bought new one, mounted it onto the mobo and it all started. It was fine for the few days when I only had the 1x8. Ran Windows memory check, no errors, ran memtest86, no errors.
My pc specs
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
RAM G.SKILL AEGIS DDR4 2x8 3000mhz (xmp)
Nvidia MSI Gtx 1070 armor
2x SSD

Solution
IMO, you're getting them often enough to just swap out the hardware and see for yourself. Means being patient a bit, but you should be able to work it out quickly enough.

Again, mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work regardless of timings. I would try it with just the new RAM stick first in the same slot as your first, if it still BSODs then return the RAM module. If it goes away, it could either be the slot it was originally in, or the modules not working together nicely.

Either way, I hope you get it sorted soon!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Obviously I'm assuming that you've also plugged the RAM into the slots as per the motherboard manual - does it run OK with ONLY the new RAM stick in? If it faults even with just the new one, in different slots, it's a faulty stick. Equally you may also want to clear CMOS.

But regardless, mixing RAM modules is not guaranteed to work. This is why manufacturers sell RAM in packs. Because technically, the packs are the only ones guaranteed to work together. It's why it is never recommended to mix RAM modules.

The fact that they might be the same size / make / model is irrelevant, they are only guaranteed in the form sold.

Apr 1, 2019
The stick from the package which I bought some time ago worked fine solo, no errors. But as soon as I added the newly bought one - bsods. I have not checked if it runs ok with the new one, and I can't really because bsods that I get are random, there's no specific event that triggers them.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The stick from the package which I bought some time ago worked fine solo, no errors. But as soon as I added the newly bought one - bsods. I have not checked if it runs ok with the new one, and I can't really because bsods that I get are random, there's no specific event that triggers them.

I understand it will be random, and it's hard to pinpoint - but it is the best way of finding out. Memory tests will not always find the problem. The best way of testing is to remove or substitute the hardware and check.

How often are the BSODs occuring?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
IMO, you're getting them often enough to just swap out the hardware and see for yourself. Means being patient a bit, but you should be able to work it out quickly enough.

Again, mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work regardless of timings. I would try it with just the new RAM stick first in the same slot as your first, if it still BSODs then return the RAM module. If it goes away, it could either be the slot it was originally in, or the modules not working together nicely.

Either way, I hope you get it sorted soon!

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS