[SOLVED] W10 desktop: will not hibernate or wake up properly

CoCo_Axial

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
My PC has recently developed a problem with hibernation: sometimes it does not shut down completely (fans still audible), but invariably on waking it up, it gets as far as the flag and spinning dots, then the screen blanks and that's it. I have to hold the power button down until it switches off (when set to hibernate when the power button is just pressed), and then press it again to reboot. The reset button has no effect at this point.

I have it set to never hibernate now. It will (usually) wake from sleep (I think there have been occasional failures to wake properly from sleep too).

I was able to restore a previous image of the C drive (using Acronis TrueImage) W10 installation, which didn't have this issue, but it too failed to hibernate/wake properly, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue. I've taken a look inside the machine, but can't see anything untoward (I put the PC together myself about 3-4 years ago). I've updated all drivers (using Driver-Easy). sfc /scannow reports 'No integrity violations', and reliability history under application failures only reports that "Windows was not properly shut down", but this was when I had some issue with a Bitlocker sd card which locked up the PC and I had to reboot it.

I could just start to replace components, but I'm hoping someone may suggest a sensible investigatory sequence which could help to pinpoint the trouble.

Thanks for reading this!

Asus Z170-P Mobo
Intel i7-7700K @4.20GHz CPU

Disk drives
Samsung SSD 960 Evo 250gb x2 (one is the C drive)
Toshiba HDWD110
Toshiba HDWD120 SCSI
WD40EZRZ-00GXCBO

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx
ATA pioneer BD-RW BDR-298D optical drive
PS/2 Keyboard
Logitech HID-compliant wireless Mouse
BenQ FP241W Monitor

Turn off the display: 5 minutes
Put the computer to sleep: 10 minutes
Turn off hard disk after: 15 minutes
Allow hybrid sleep: Off
Hibernate after: Never
Allow wake timers: Disable
Mice and keyboards in Device Manager have "Allow this device to wake the computer" under "Power Management"

Solution
Sounds like your disk might have an issue resuming after being turned off. First I would set your options to not turn your drive off, then I would do a full shutdown of your PC. Hold down shift when you click shutdown to make sure that you'll get a complete shut down. Then boot your machine and see if you can let it hibernate and resume.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Sounds like your disk might have an issue resuming after being turned off. First I would set your options to not turn your drive off, then I would do a full shutdown of your PC. Hold down shift when you click shutdown to make sure that you'll get a complete shut down. Then boot your machine and see if you can let it hibernate and resume.

Solution

CoCo_Axial

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Well that seems to have sorted it! So let me get my compliments and thanks in straight away. Cheers CompuGuy71! Wasn't expecting the solution to be the first one out of the box, and that it'd be offered within 30 mins of my query.
Anyway, did as you suggested, and have been testing it for longer and longer periods of hibernation since (just completed a 90min hiber). So far, so good. That's such a relief. Thought I was in for the long haul of mounting frustration...
Follow-up q.: is this likely to be a single HDD, or a mobo fault? If HDD, is there any software-based dignostic way to find out which one, or is it a matter of replacing them one at a time?
I also noticed that in the power settings, advanced options, the 'Never' choice for turning off the hard drives was quite elusive, and even when persuaded to offer it, on reanimation/dehibernation, it always reverts to '0 minutes'. Since it is working (fingers, eyes and legs crossed), I'm not too fussed, but just wondered, like...
Thanks again. Bloody marvellous.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
@CoCo_Axial Glad it's working for you, hit that arrow and trophy beside my answer if you can so that your question will be marked as solved.

Follow-up q.: is this likely to be a single HDD, or a mobo fault? If HDD, is there any software-based dignostic way to find out which one, or is it a matter of replacing them one at a time?

Hard to tell, my instinct is more of an HDD issue. You can run CHKDSK from the commandline and use /scan to check your volumes.