[SOLVED] W10 - ethernet drop outs - OS bug?

Jan 15, 2022
Hi

I started getting an issue a few days ago with suddenly being unable to access the internet consistently through ethernet on a W10 running desktop.

My ISP, router, ethernet cable, switch etc are all fine. The router assigns the device an IPV6 address.

W10 on version 10.0.19044.1466

Intel I217-V ethernet adapter on lastest driver 12.19.1.37

It'll work fine for about 30 seconds immediately after starting the device, then and only then will the network connection drop out.

Pinging google for example through CMD finds no hosts. Troubleshooting/reset tools in windows network settings have worked on occasion but are extremely inconsistent. Not working now hence this forum post.

I've turned the W firewall completely off to test.

Not the AV.

This looks to be like some kind of misconfiguration or bug in W10, interfering somewhere - how the ethernet connection will work fine for 30 seconds after start but then drop out? LAN/logging into the router is fine so I can't see it being hardware?

Anyone seen this before? I've very confused at the unusual and sudden onset nature of the issue.

Thanks.

Solution
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it just stops programs running with windows at startup, they not deleted as such.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it just stops programs running with windows at startup, they not deleted as such.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution