[SOLVED] w10 goes unstable after about 12 hours

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I get home and I play games for a few hours then I leave it on because I cast movies to my chromecast while I sleep. When I wake up windows is basically unusable. I can still browse within my current browser window and minimize things but I can't open anything is is already minimized or task manager, start doesn't work, control alt delete doesn't work. Malwarebytes shows nothing.

setup
Ryzen 7 3800XT
MSI MEG x570 Unify
64GB g skill ripjaws 3600
RTX 2060 super
EVGA 750W 80+ Gold
TRENDnet 10GbE NIC

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like either a hardware or driver issue; if you are stable in the short term do as much testing as you can to make absolutely certain you are 100% stable (you'd be surprised how often "stable" isn't as stable as you think). If you are, then it's likely one of those drivers mucking things thing.

Wifi/Bluetooth drivers are notorious for causing issues, and NVIDIA does drop some borked drivers from time to time. Only real way to test is to install one at a time and see which one causes the problem.

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I mean the power option in Windows.

Try to set your system to "never sleep" mode to see if it has the same problem.
oh my computer doesn't sleep. I hibernate it when I leave for work and that's about it. Now I have to restart it frequently whenever it starts slowing down, but I used to be able to go for many months without restarting

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I tried reinstalling windows 10 and maybe the install got messed up or something but now it seems like I have more problems than before.
  • my computer randomly turned off in the middle of the night, not sure what did it. - there were no pending updates - I do have it set to hibernate BUT it fully turned off
  • whenever I start up select games it just completely crashes my pc or maybe my gpu - I have the latest drivers installed for both chipset and gpu
    • known games to crash (so far): apex legends, thermo sudoku, killer sudoku
      • these games were tested after reinstalls and repairs, same thing
    • games that play fine: minecraft, vermintide 2
  • I randomly did a test where I let the game open out of focus and it starts up just fine. But the moment I switch into the game, same thing, it crashes my entire pc
    • first thing I notice is that my monitor just loses signal - it starts cycling through input options trying to find something to display
    • I can't alt tab or alt f4, my mouse stops moving/working
<mod edit - language>

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
what are full specs? what PSU are you using??

If it crashes after a clean install its likely hardware

are you getting BSOD?
added it to OP, sorry. It's not a BSOD everything just freezes and dies, sound cuts out about 2 seconds into a game starting up.
What I've been doing the entire day is going through installing everything 1 by 1 while checking to see if the games will still run. So far I've done a majority of the drivers and programs.

My current theory is the wifi and bluetooth drivers which are listed as Intel. But these are what I downloaded direct from the manufacturer page so idk. Those 2 are the last drivers to be installed

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
idk if it's ok for me to leave this unanswered or not. I wasn't able to find the exact cause but as of right now Windows is stable and I can open all my games. The only drivers I didn't install were the wifi drivers, bluetooth drivers, and UP-TO-DATE nvidia drivers. I currently have whatever version of nvidia drivers Windows installed for me, I didn't update to current.

It sounds like either a hardware or driver issue; if you are stable in the short term do as much testing as you can to make absolutely certain you are 100% stable (you'd be surprised how often "stable" isn't as stable as you think). If you are, then it's likely one of those drivers mucking things thing.

Wifi/Bluetooth drivers are notorious for causing issues, and NVIDIA does drop some borked drivers from time to time. Only real way to test is to install one at a time and see which one causes the problem.

Solution