W10 Laptop Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time solver, first time asker hahaha

Ok so I ran W10 on a VM at work a few times just to see how it is, so I decided to put it on my almost 6 year old laptop to show clients what Windows 10 will be like (I do IT work).

Well it installs just fine. No issues there. Finds all my drivers ect. Running Insider preview Build 10074 (I know there was just released a new build) but for some reason I have a few issues.

It is a Dell Studio XPS 1640, Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 1066, 750GB Seagate Hybrid drive. With Windows 7 my poor thing took for ever to start up but with windows 10 that time is cut in half so Windows 10 has its perks

But my issues.

1) Wifi seems super slow. It is a Intel Wifi 5100 and also a Broadcom. Both Wireless N (I use one for home so I can set a Static IP for my laptop when at home and the other is DHCP for everywhere else).

2) Anyone has issues using Chrome? Chrome seems to act up a bit on here

3) When playing some games the start menu pop's up and then my games crash when trying to get it to go away.

4) When changing settings for the Start Menu or Adding Tiles to Start the Start menu either becomes unresponsive or it takes a long time to refresh. Like if i click on the start button I get nothing. Sometimes I even have to log out and then log back in to fix the issue.

5) The biggest thing. My CPU is stuck at 1.6 GHZ. Don't everything I can think of. Speed Step is off, Never had this issue with a CLEAN install of W7. Never had to go into power options and set it to high performance or anything. It looks like the Max CPU Speed is set to 65% in the Resource Monitor. Spent a few hours last night trying to figure out why it is doing this, even setting my power settings to High Performance and setting min and max CPU to 100% but it is still stuck at 65%.

The laptop is old, almost 6 years, but it can still do some decent gaming and with the summer coming up I use it to game more (more so like Fallout, and other older games) because my desktop just cranks up the heat. I don't really want to go back to W7 only because i want to test this out but may have to dual boot if i don't find a solution.

Thanks

Solution
Yea I haven't played with it that much but here is what i did find out.

1) Found out i had to go into the advanced wifi settings to see the two different cards and then i could set a static IP to my Faster one i use for home.

2) After updating to the lastest version at the time, i will be reinstalling Win7 and upgrading to 10 (Most likely dual boot) so the full version and get off the tech preview but Chrome started to work fine.

3) It was the games i was playing. They were older games (SimCity 2000, MoH Allied Assult etc) and the newer ones were fine.

4) Start menu was fixed with version update.

5) for the intel speed step. Here is the thing. On W7 if I disable it I get FULL CPU Speed. I know on some older laptops disabling...

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there drtweak,

Following up on your question, have you had any luck since the install on the issues you've outlined? If it was the technical preview, it's definitely likely that those issues (especially the CPU one) was resolved. Let us know?

-JP

Yea I haven't played with it that much but here is what i did find out.

1) Found out i had to go into the advanced wifi settings to see the two different cards and then i could set a static IP to my Faster one i use for home.

2) After updating to the lastest version at the time, i will be reinstalling Win7 and upgrading to 10 (Most likely dual boot) so the full version and get off the tech preview but Chrome started to work fine.

3) It was the games i was playing. They were older games (SimCity 2000, MoH Allied Assult etc) and the newer ones were fine.

4) Start menu was fixed with version update.

5) for the intel speed step. Here is the thing. On W7 if I disable it I get FULL CPU Speed. I know on some older laptops disabling it gets you only half. But once i turned Speed step back on in the BIOS BAM! got my 2.4 GHZ back. It adjust on the fly like it is suppose to do but it gets up to 2.4 when i push it. So it's backwards for some reason.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.