Question W10 stuck in boot logo, then restarts automatically...

dumitrescu12

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
...and I am not able to enter any kind of safe mode nor bootable drive.

I start my computer, it gets to the boot logo, and it restarts before the loading circles even appear.

It happened all of a sudden, one day my PC decided to not let Windows 10 start.
I've tried literally almost everything the internet suggested to other people, tried to do the classic sfc, DISM, etc. from a bootable USB.
The problem is, booting from the USB drive gives me the same problem, it gets stuck on the "Lenovo" logo, and restarts.
Tried burning the OS from the official Windows page, with its own tool and all that. It didn't work, so I used another ISO, still nothing.

I got an SSD with Windows 7 installed on it, and it works. But as soon as I try to install Windows 10 on it via the Windows 7 explorer, when the PC restarts to get into the W10 install menu, the problem comes again.
Looks like my PC doesn't want to boot up Windows 10, but Windows 7 is no problem at all. Weird, I've been using W10 on this PC for three years already.
Yes, I've tried to do an offline sfc and DISM from my Windows 7 to my Windows 10 drive, but it gives me some errors. Anyway, I don't think that's the problem since even bootable USBs have this problem.

PC: Desktop
CPU: I5 4460
GPU: AMD RX 460 4GB
Motherboard: The one on the Lenovo H50-50.

TLDR: My computer boot loops when using Windows 10 OS or W10 installation drives. Windows 7 works great though, not able to boot up into safe mode and basically unable to do anything related to Windows 10.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day :)

Ralston18

Titan
What edition and version of Windows 10 is installed?

Are you seeing any of those 0xc.......type error codes?

If so, googling the code number may be of some help.

Just be wary about applying any "solutions" that may show up. Some of those solutions will appear no matter what problem is being addressed.

Question regarding this: "But as soon as I try to install Windows 10 on it via the Windows 7 explorer, "

Dual boot system?

dumitrescu12

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
What edition and version of Windows 10 is installed?

Are you seeing any of those 0xc.......type error codes?

If so, googling the code number may be of some help.

Just be wary about applying any "solutions" that may show up. Some of those solutions will appear no matter what problem is being addressed.

Question regarding this: "But as soon as I try to install Windows 10 on it via the Windows 7 explorer, "

Dual boot system?

Windows 10 Pro. There are no error codes showing. Just instant restarting seconds after the boot logo appears.

And no, it's not a dual boot system, just added another drive with Windows 7 installed so I could have access to the Windows 10 drive.

Identify the drives you are using. It sounds like you have a different drive, other than the win 7 ssd, you are trying to boot windows 10 from.

So, before the problem began, I only had one drive, the W10 1TB HDD. When the problem began, I plugged in a W7 SSD just to test if it was an OS-specific problem or a system problem, and it worked, so I use it as a way to access my W10 HDD and hopefully solving this problem. I don't even know now if it's a system problem or an OS problem, the line is so blurred.

I've tried to load a Windows 8.1 installation drive, and it gives me the same problem, constant restarting at the boot logo. Looks like Windows 7 is the only one that works.

Ralston18

Titan
So you installed the Window 7 drive, made it the boot drive and then accessed the original boot drive as a secondary drive - correct?

And then did the same using a Windows 8.1 drive first as the boot drive and then as a secondary drive..?

As has been asked by @onespeedbiker - what make and models are the SATA and hard drives?

And what physical connections are you using between motherboard and drives?

My thought is that the drive's configuration settings have gotten mixed up or corrupted.

Reference link:

https://www.quora.com/In-computer-hard-drives-what-were-master-and-slave-all-about

Take another look at the drives and boot drive configurations. Including the cables and SATA ports being used.

dumitrescu12

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
So you installed the Window 7 drive, made it the boot drive and then accessed the original boot drive as a secondary drive - correct?
Yep

And then did the same using a Windows 8.1 drive first as the boot drive and then as a secondary drive..?
Yes, the W8 drive was an installation USB, but booting from it just crashed the PC the same way as the W10 HDD, then tried to run the W8 installation from Windows 7. At the moment the "copying files" process stopped, my PC proceeded to restart so it could boot the W8 install wizard, but as the PC was booting into it, it started crashing again.

Looks like no matter the drive or way Windows 8+ boots, this restarting thing happens.

The SSD I'm using to run Windows 7 is a Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD. The HDD containing Windows 10 is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003.
Everything connected to the PC using SATA ports.
SSD is on port 0
HDD is on port 1
Switched ports, even plugged out the rest of drives to check if something else was giving me these problems, even switched my GPU to check if it was a component compatibility issue, but it all worked before.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - bcdedit.

First the following link:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

Just read and look at your system and what is in the boot manager.

Second, do some additional research/googling based on what you discover with respect to your system and what you think the configuration(s) should be.

No need for any immediate actions or changes. The process, for now, is discovery.

Once you discover that something is definitely amiss in the current drive settings etc., then the next step is to work out a change that will fix things.