W10 update install, no USB

pisaacs

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I've done update installs of W10 on 2 of my computers, no problems at all. I then tried it with my latest built computer which went a little differently and wound up not having a (usb) mouse or usb working. When I was installing W10 from a usb stick there popped up a message box I'd not seen with the other 2 installs: something like, please remove the usb stick and do you want an update install or a clean install (again, this was after the installation had started up). I removed the stick and said yes for the update install. So in the end finding the mouse not working I checked the device manager and all the usbs had a yellow '!'s saying "the software for this device has been blocked because it is known to have problems with Windows[code 48]. I tried updating the drivers but it said the drivers are the latest. I tried troubleshooting the drivers and all I got was churning as it was looking for whatever. I gave up after a few hours and returned to W7 where thankfully the mouse and usb ports are working and everything seems ok. In the device manager however while most of the usb devices are ok, under other devices there are 3 usb controllers with a yellow ! listed which say pci bus 4, other device, unkown. I just have no memory of seeing whether these were ever connected or ok. So I guess the question is why this happened in this case and should I try doing the upgrade install (much preferred) again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did it look like point 10 here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

did you boot from USB? if you update pc while windows is running your only choice is to update. If you boot from the USB you can do an update or a fresh install. The step where you remove USB is a few screens later.

what I would do now is backup anything you want to keep off the hdd and do a fresh install following the link I provided and the USB you have. Win 10 is so much more stable as a frees install. Much better than any upgrade.

pisaacs

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
No, not the window in Point 10. It was a little dos type box as the install was under way. I'm wondering whether the fact that I made the usb stick installer using a different computer with a different motherboard, etc was the cause. I really don't want to do a clean install. I'm not trying to be difficult and I know it's better, but the 2 other installs went fine and I don't need a super fast, clean computer.

pisaacs

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, I have AI Charger. Then should I disable it (using WinPatrol), reboot and try W10 again?

It's not that I don't want a fast pc, I'm satisfied with my W7 speed so to trade in some more speed for all the reinstalling of my many graphics, photo and 3d programs etc, would be a real drag. BTW, I disabled WinPatrol before starting the upgrade process so there was no interference from that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try disabling it and then try the update again, i don't know what that pop up was you got and its not normal.

is that the feature that super charges the usb so they can charge mobile deivces faster? think I have that on my board. I don't use AI suite as its 5 way optimise sets an overclock I don't want.

pisaacs

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Tried it again, this time doing an install downloaded onto my pc instead of using a usb stick. Unfortunately, same result, no working usb drivers. I'm back to W7 and I'm certainly not doing a clean install if I could wind up with no 7 and no 10. Thanks for your suggestions. Appreciate it.