[SOLVED] W10 update screwed up my search bar. Solved

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OK What The Crap did my W10 update do today and how to fix it?

Short story got up this morning, turned my PC on and my keyboard said 32% of my memory was being used no big deal about always happenes with pending updates to install.

Clicked install, all 4 installed, then rebooted.

Now for the screwed up part.

My tray at the bottom, shows W10 icon as always but next to that for the search it shows the icon with the search box BUT now instead of saying search it says a peachy desert then shows a peach icon and a peach cobbler icon all in the search box.

If I click on the search box it shows the usuall settings and stuff but to the side of that the peach cobbler , and under that it shows trending internet searches

Solution
Screenshots will help as I said somewhere else...

same in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

or

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Would check to see if there is a theme installed.

On the lock screen there are commonly small text areas that perform various actions if you accidentally click them while logging on. I wonder if you didn't hit one of those inadvertently and install some manner of theme?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Would check to see if there is a theme installed.

On the lock screen there are commonly small text areas that perform various actions if you accidentally click them while logging on. I wonder if you didn't hit one of those inadvertently and install some manner of theme?
My login is a 4 digit pin, no way to click on anything else.

Boot PC when windows is ready, hit enter, enter pin hit enter no way to do anything else.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Screenshots will help as I said somewhere else...

same in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

or

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I can't find any results for anything like this. MS did update search last month so its probably a glitch.

try scanning PC

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

though sfc/dism don't normally help with Taskbar related problems.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be this
Search highlights will present notable and interesting moments of what’s special about each day—like holidays, anniversaries, and other educational moments in time both globally and in your region. To see more details at a glance, hover, click, or tap on the illustration in the search box.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-preview-4fe2d1c0-720f-47fe-9523-75339bc107a1

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...ion-search-highlights-in-windows/ba-p/3263989

did you press the peach?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The right hand pick is what it looks like but on the left side of that screen it also shows my MS account Email address.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-preview-4fe2d1c0-720f-47fe-9523-75339bc107a1

Will be home in about 15 mins, if we even have power, storming really bad here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Today is National Peach Cobbler day in the USA

National Peach Cobber Day, celebrated annually on April 13

note: I think this is oddest answer I ever given here :)

To turn it off or back on, right click on your taskbar, select Search and then select or clear “Show search highlights.”

wonder when 11 gets it, I can hardly wait to turn it off :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Today is National Peach Cobbler day in the USA

note: I think this is oddest answer I ever given here :)
Very close took me about 2 minutes to fix it. Was running late this morning.

Right click search bar.
Move up to search and it will give a list to the right, uncheck where it says search icon. EDIT actually you just click on it no real box to actually uncheck it and it removes the check.

Mine now shows the magnifying glass thing then says Type here to search.

Happy days again!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
it said its being rolled out slowly so possibly they need to activate it on accounts in some order so we don't get 100 posts about peaches on the forums on same day.

i need to make VM bigger to get 21H2. Or just not bother since I hardly use it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
my win 10 vm says i not eligible for win 11. but then i also have a win 11 vm so that's kind of odd.

guess i had to change a setting somewhere to install win 11 that is not checked for the 10 vm....

i have 21h2 but no peaches on there.. :-/
21H2 here also and it was in my updates today, NOT optional updates. So your peaches , apples, whatever is coming sooner or later.

Now that I think about it I should of left it a few days to see what it changed to.

EDIT I guess I can always turn it back on. Nope as of now no going back.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat

USAFRet

Titan
my win 10 vm says i not eligible for win 11. but then i also have a win 11 vm so that's kind of odd.

guess i had to change a setting somewhere to install win 11 that is not checked for the 10 vm....

i have 21h2 but no peaches on there.. :-/
My HTPC is almost certainly Win 11 capable, but it has not notified of the update.
All my Win 10 systems that are known NOT Win 11 capable have said they are not, and why.

Patience. If it is capable, it will come around eventually.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
My HTPC is almost certainly Win 11 capable, but it has not notified of the update.
All my Win 10 systems that are known NOT Win 11 capable have said they are not, and why.

Patience. If it is capable, it will come around eventually.

i'm happy it won't update as i want to leave it on 10 for reference. already got a win 11 vm to reference it and don't need 2 :)

now i kind of want some peaches.....

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just fired up my win 11 vm and it says it is not capable of installing win 11 when it ran update and found a new insider build.

so it is good enough to install win 11 and run it but not good enough to update it now??

it did say i needed 64 gb of hdd which it only has 50 gb. guess i need to bump it up some and see if that is the problem.

just flippin work will ya?? lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
64gb hdd? glad I deleted my win 11 vm instead of updating it as all my VM only 32gb. If I make a win 11 one will have to make it bigger.
I did notice both VM got offered Win 11 first time I started them up and on second restart weren't capable of getting it
So its missing:
  • Secure boot
  • tpm
  • needs 64gb storage

It also thinks my PC is 15 years old. I wonder what Virtualbox says my PC is.

TPM is on, secure boot isn't... funny how i can't update to win 11 without secure boot on a VM but am running win 11 without secure boot right now, on the PC hosting the VM. Guess I might trip over when next version update released.
I wonder how i make it so virtualbox does actually show I have fTPM