w10 usb boot on dell

craign924

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
hello,

inherited a dell inspirion 580. 4 beeps bad ram, i replaced the ram.8gb 64bit

put in a new harddrive. went to frys and picked up w10 home usb stick.

changed boot config to removeable drive in the bios.

this is what i get:

No boot device available
F1 to boot, F2 to enter setup utility.
Sata1 : Installed
Sata2 None
Sata3 None
Sata4 Installed

Now i have a wireless keyboard that works off the usb port.

I do not know what else to do here.

TY Craig

Solution
I wouldn't change to a removable device as boot priority #1 in the BIOS, there's usually a boot override functionality, allowing you to boot from the USB as a "one off".

That's beneficial, because, during the install the system will reboot... It should then continue on the HDD. If you leave the USB as priority #1, you'll just reboot back into the install environment.

That option can be found using F12 for Dell
So, put your HDD back as priority #1 in the BIOS, then reboot. Spam F12 until presented with the boot override menu.
NOTE: secure boot enabled in the BIOS may disable the ability to boot from a USB. If spamming F12 doesn't work, enter the BIOS and disable "secure boot". Then reboot & try again.

FWIW, if possible, I'd...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't change to a removable device as boot priority #1 in the BIOS, there's usually a boot override functionality, allowing you to boot from the USB as a "one off".

That's beneficial, because, during the install the system will reboot... It should then continue on the HDD. If you leave the USB as priority #1, you'll just reboot back into the install environment.

That option can be found using F12 for Dell
So, put your HDD back as priority #1 in the BIOS, then reboot. Spam F12 until presented with the boot override menu.
NOTE: secure boot enabled in the BIOS may disable the ability to boot from a USB. If spamming F12 doesn't work, enter the BIOS and disable "secure boot". Then reboot & try again.

FWIW, if possible, I'd create the install media on another system, rather than one 'off the shelf'.
Who knows how long ago that USB was created and, after install, you'll be going through (potentially) months-years of Windows 10 updates.
Creating your own will have you on the most up-to-date release, and save you going through all the updates.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Solution