[SOLVED] W11 Cumulative Update (KB5016629) Won't Install

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Win 11 Cumulative Updates is apparently a common problem from all the posts I see here about it...

I have tried the Update Troubleshooter, ran SFC, DISM, and even downloaded the update's .MSU file and ran it directly. I've run disk cleanup and system cleanup. The update will go thru the download and thru installation up to 35%, but always ends up with saying it failed; retry. Running the .MSU file "completes", but says the update isn't installed.

Unless someone can tell me another way to get it, I'd like to know if there's a way to remove it from the Windows Update so I don't have to keep looking at it. I'll just wait for the next cumulative update.

i5-10400
Asrock H510M/ac
16 GB DDR4
RX-5600 XT
Win 11 Home

Solution
You can't wait for next CU, they sort of rely on previous one working for you to get next. You would be waiting until possibly End of September to get update as that is when 22H2 rumoured to be out.

Try a repair install - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/

I have had to do one myself as a CU wouldn't install or complete install process, would always roll back after the restart.

All it does is replaces windows 11 with the base build, you need to get the updates again but they should all work this time.

Rest of PC should be the same as it is now after repair process.

It only takes 20 minutes on an ssd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't wait for next CU, they sort of rely on previous one working for you to get next. You would be waiting until possibly End of September to get update as that is when 22H2 rumoured to be out.

Try a repair install - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/

I have had to do one myself as a CU wouldn't install or complete install process, would always roll back after the restart.

All it does is replaces windows 11 with the base build, you need to get the updates again but they should all work this time.

Rest of PC should be the same as it is now after repair process.

It only takes 20 minutes on an ssd.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for that. I didn't know I could do that w/o losing my stuff. I'll read it and try after making a disk image.
Btw... another thought came to mind. I have a disk image from about 3 months ago. If I simply restored to that image and then did all the updates since then, do you think the CU issue I'm having would disappear?

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Thank you for that. I didn't know I could do that w/o losing my stuff. I'll read it and try after making a disk image.
Btw... another thought came to mind. I have a disk image from about 3 months ago. If I simply restored to that image and then did all the updates since then, do you think the CU issue I'm having would disappear?

Only way to really know is to try. From personal experience this did not fix my update issue I continued to get hung up. Different update number but same issue. Had to fully repair my install and then update. Something was STILL borked so I did it again. To this day I still do not have a fully up to date copy of Win 11 on my machine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it might. I think part of the problem is how Microsoft are pushing out preview cumulative updates as many of the PC that are falling over have the preview and the update system won't let them get the actual update that has same features. One possible answer is uninstall the previous update but I have found a repair install replaces all the crap and let update work again.

Part of me thinks windows update system starting to struggle on some systems as i have 50+ Quality Updates going all the way back to 16 July 2021, and in the past with an update every 6 months, it wasn't possible to see back 13 months in time.

So 22H2 might be out next month or it could be later, its unclear until it happens. I suspect a new version will at least remove the 50+ updates I have now and clean up windows.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
You should probably wait anyway.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You should probably wait anyway.
Thanks for that link. kb5016629 is exactly the one I have the issue with. Not much info from MS there, but at least I know I'm not alone. But why are you saying I should wait? Because it might just keep happening until they fix it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
“It takes ages to download and then come up with this error – no other information – someone at Microsoft must know what the error code means and how to correct it,” one of the frustrated users noted in the Feedback Hub.

There are similar reports on Feedback Hub, but the bug hasn’t been acknowledged by Microsoft.
same link as above.

All article says is people are having problems installing it but doesn't offer a solution. Just saying they (the people writing article) are aware of it...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@ Colif
That Repair Install worked like a charm. Just as you said it would. Issue gone. Thank you for the info. Is W11 the first to offer a repair install? I'm not sure I've come across that before in previous versions of Win. Just all or nothing.