W2K install over Network?

G

Problem:
To install W2K over a network from a system already running with W2K PRO to another system yet unpartitioned and unformatted.
Assume that I have network physically connected etc.
I am not sure how to boot the second (new) system so as to find the installation files which I will copy onto the first system.
Do I need some kind of network driver on the floppy?
Please basic step by step would be appreciated.
Thanks.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, there are several different ways to do that. if its for one machine though, why dont you just run ghost or drive image, then sysprep (to remove sid) on one machine and then image the new one? if not, i believe you must create a bootable disk/answer file in setup mgr. then you must have ris running on a server, supply the setup files (i386)or image there, and connect to it via the dhcp server and the disk you created in setup mgr oooorrr there are nics that can be configured to access that but youd have to go to the ms site and see what they are. i hope this is somewhat helpful, i can try to give you more info when you tell me exactly what your doing.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

G

Okay,
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
I have 2 machines networked together.
Machine 1 has 2 partitions.
The first partition runs W2KPro and the second partition runs XPPro.
The second machine has one unformated HDD. No CD, just a FDD.
I want to install W2K Server onto the second machine. The second machine as I said has no CD. Anyway the point of the exercise is to be able to install over a network using network client software, however I haven't the first clue as to where to start.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok, i see. i dont think i can help then. i dont know how machine 2 would see machine 1 w/out a dhcp server or an ris compatible nic. if, however, you solve your problem, plaese pot. id like to hear how you did it.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, a few ways to do it, since its only 1 machine that needs it installing on, then we'll do the easiest option- basically the same as doing it from a cd.

you will need a network boot disk, you need to be able to boot from this disk and access the network, if you dont have one, mail me calv@fuckyou.co.uk and I'll get on too ya (you will need the dos driver for your lan card, thats the only other thing you will need)
Boot form the network boot disk
on the server (i.e. the pc thats running already), you need a shared folder, lets call it win2kpro and ensure that the network share permissions will allow the other box to access it. into this folder, copy the i386 folder from the 2k cd.
now once you booted from the network boot disk, and have connectivity put NET USE H: \\server\win2kcd where H is a spare drive letter, and SERVER represents the pcname of the server. It should then say the command was succesfull, it MAY ask you for a password for the server, if so, enter it as required, that maps the shared forlder to H.now type H: and press enter, then cd i386 and finally run winnt as you would normally.

PS.

If you need the boot disk, please say so here as I rarely check the above mail account.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 03/14/02 05:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Thanks
That sounds reasonable. I'll check through and make sure I've got everything I need, suck it & see and let you know.
Ta

G

Hi Calv
Okay, I have at last sorted out a network bootdisk. An excellent site "http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/#TOC"

However, After creating this disk, I boot up from the disk and I am conftronted with some ooptions, which, no matter which I choose I can't get to the server, let alone the shared I386 folder.

The first option during bootup is a choice of 3. i.e. 1. Boot with EMM386, 2. Bott without EMM 386 3. Clean Boot.
Which do I choose?
I have tried Option 1 which continues to unpack and install the files into RAMDisk. Then a box appears (in the bootup) Entitled GoTo Config?
Choices are: OK, Config, Cancel.
Obviously (Ithink) I chose OK.
The result is that the next line says >No Files
Then >MSNET Aborted
Then > Press any Key to continue.
Then a Q:\ prompt appears
Why Q Idon't know.
As I only have a single unformatted 40Gb drive in the computer.
Any Ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I shuold imagine that you will need to config the fisk first of all, I would have thought that it will ask you detials of your network, ip etc, thats what the one I have does. I'll check out the link when I get home (about 2 hours from this post) and see if I can get it working and post back.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ouch, that looks major complicated, drop me a mail, I'll send you an easy to use one

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi, I forgot to check back last night, was very busy, I'll mail you when I get home
erm I wrote this at 9 am lol its almost 3pm now ! just havnt stopped today, but I'll mail it tonight

G

Thanks to everyone's replies.
The problem is now sorted as I have now been able to boot of a network floppy (courtesy of CALV and his advice) and installed from the I386 shared folder.