W2k Server definately needs a UPS

Yep its the truth.
Because active directory maintains its database
files and they are always open.

I shutdown a system without a UPS
and it took quite a long while to come back.
I got stuck a couple times there and I
had to restart again. Almost made
a failed intall out uf an upgrade.

So,,,,I count myself lucky.
And I went out and got one
that shuts the system down in an orderly fashion
when power is lost. I feel better now,

Take my word for it, you will too.

James W. Long.

"James W. Long" <JamesLong@wowway.com> wrote in message

> Yep its the truth.
> Because active directory maintains its database
> files and they are always open.
>
> I shutdown a system without a UPS
> and it took quite a long while to come back.

Yes, it does.

And I probably shouldn't tell you the following:
It almost always recovers 99.999% of the time.

The problem with that is people will read it and
say, "I won't be the one who loses it."

One the other hand, you should have other DCs and
backups too.

--
Herb Martin

"James W. Long" <JamesLong@wowway.com> wrote in message

> Yep its the truth.
> Because active directory maintains its database
> files and they are always open.
>
> I shutdown a system without a UPS
> and it took quite a long while to come back.
> I got stuck a couple times there and I
> had to restart again. Almost made
> a failed intall out uf an upgrade.
>
> So,,,,I count myself lucky.
> And I went out and got one
> that shuts the system down in an orderly fashion
> when power is lost. I feel better now,
>
> Take my word for it, you will too.
>

> James W. Long.

In news:u9mdncpFbINacXfdRVn_iw@wideopenwest.com,
James W. Long <JamesLong@wowway.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Yep its the truth.
> Because active directory maintains its database
> files and they are always open.
>
> I shutdown a system without a UPS
> and it took quite a long while to come back.
> I got stuck a couple times there and I
> had to restart again. Almost made
> a failed intall out uf an upgrade.
>
> So,,,,I count myself lucky.
> And I went out and got one
> that shuts the system down in an orderly fashion
> when power is lost. I feel better now,
>
> Take my word for it, you will too.
>

> James W. Long.

Hmm... this sounds really really familiar! :)

So James, curious, what brand/model and how much did it cost? Did you use
those links I mentioned?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Dear Ace:

I got a Conext 900 VA, 500 watt, 52 min UPS from
Micorcenter, its exactly like an APC only black and
uses Powerechute or native UPS support,
normally $119.00 on sale for $59.00 !

Such a deal! :) I have 2 boxes and a
hairy Viewsonic PT775 monitor on it.

James

P.S.
Also just eliminated my dual homed topology and added a
Linksys WRT54g wireless router. sweet. WEP encrypted
and mac address filtered. All the systems start and shutdown
faster because of that.topology change.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eDOmtz7YEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

In news:utWdnRrXUqaJKnDdRVn-sA@wideopenwest.com,
James W. Long <JamesLong@wowway.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Dear Ace:
>
> I got a Conext 900 VA, 500 watt, 52 min UPS from
> Micorcenter, its exactly like an APC only black and
> uses Powerechute or native UPS support,
> normally $119.00 on sale for $59.00 !
>
> Such a deal! :) I have 2 boxes and a
> hairy Viewsonic PT775 monitor on it.
>
> James
>
> P.S.
> Also just eliminated my dual homed topology and added a
> Linksys WRT54g wireless router. sweet. WEP encrypted
> and mac address filtered. All the systems start and shutdown
> faster because of that.topology change.

$59.00 is a great deal for those things. And eliminating those extra cards
and putting in the Linksys is a wonderful thing!

Glad everything is running smooth.
:)

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Dear Ace:

Yes, everthing but shutting down, rebooting and the disk write cache but
I'll email you.

James

message news:ebuZpiVZEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

In news:UY6dnX4d8915wHPdRVn-sw@wideopenwest.com,
James W. Long <JamesLong@wowway.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Dear Ace:
>
> Yes, everthing but shutting down, rebooting and the disk write cache
> but I'll email you.
>
> James

Replied privately.