W2k-Server replace by w2003-server

Hallo All!

I have checked the knowledge base for information, but all I found is
migrating servers from W2k to 2003 on a running machine.

My situation is as follows

I am admin of a small network with one Server running ADS. It is DNS-Root, and
ADS schema master and forest-master. The HW is quite old and we want to
replace it. We ordered a new server preinstalled with W2003-Server.

Now I want this new server to take over all the tasks the old one had and then
the old one to be powered down forever.

From earlier times with similar question when one w2k replaces another I have
something in mind, that I have to promote the new server to take over all the
tasks. But I'm not sure.

If there is no short help (incl. article in the knowledgebase I did not find),
I would be glad, if somebody could help me answer this question by giving me
the title (and other information) of a good book.

Thanks for your help
Hartmut

Make sure you have a Global Catalog server up and running
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

Move the fsmo roles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000

If you have DNS move the dns server to a new machine and point all your
clients (This includes your servers) to the new dns machine.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/nameadrmgmt/w2kdns.asp

Browsing is dependent upon WINS.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193820

DHCP? Licensing?

"Hartmut Berghoff" <h.berghoff@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hallo All!
>
> I have checked the knowledge base for information, but all I found is
> migrating servers from W2k to 2003 on a running machine.
>
> My situation is as follows
>
> I am admin of a small network with one Server running ADS. It is DNS-Root,
and
> ADS schema master and forest-master. The HW is quite old and we want to
> replace it. We ordered a new server preinstalled with W2003-Server.
>
> Now I want this new server to take over all the tasks the old one had and
then
> the old one to be powered down forever.
>
> From earlier times with similar question when one w2k replaces another I
have
> something in mind, that I have to promote the new server to take over all
the
> tasks. But I'm not sure.
>
> If there is no short help (incl. article in the knowledgebase I did not
find),
> I would be glad, if somebody could help me answer this question by giving
me
> the title (and other information) of a good book.
>
> Thanks for your help
> Hartmut

The short answer is: You might want to downgrade the new server to Win2000
before DCPROMO'ing it into your existing AD.

Make sure you know all the roles/services/processes that are present on the
old server, and set those to run on the new one (obviously, the roles can be
moved). As far as DNS, you will need to make the old server replicate the
DNS db to the new one, then make the new one the master. Depending on your
infrastructure, this may require other configs.

When you are sure the old server is hosting any necessary services, you can
"decomission" it gracefully. Removing the old server from the domain
properly saves alot of grief, since removing it the hard way (as if it just
crashed and then you wanted to remove it) is no fun.....

I am being somewhat general here, as there are a number of steps to do what
you want.

--

gt
Server Based Computing Evangelist

Paul Bergson wrote:

> Make sure you have a Global Catalog server up and running
It's all one machine. The mentioned server is the only one in that network,
hosting all the AD-tasks incl. DNS

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994
>
> Move the fsmo roles

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000

> If you have DNS move the dns server to a new machine and point all your
> clients (This includes your servers) to the new dns machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/nameadrmgmt/w2kdns.asp

> Browsing is dependent upon WINS.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193820
>
> DHCP? Licensing?
No DHCP used

I will study the infos given by your links. Perhasp afterwards I can ask you
some questions, if there are any left.

Thanks
Hartmut

Feel free