W32.SillyFDC worm/virus help

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Not really sure how this "W32.SillyFDC ended up on my computer, either flash drives or shady websites.
I do want to be completely rid of this though.

Norton quarantined the W32.SillyFDC about a week or so ago and I've been trying to make sure that the worm didn't infect any other parts of my computer. I did a full system scan with Norton, Spybot S&D, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes did find a couple of problems and I removed them.

Around the same date that Norton quarantined SillyFDC I started to see all of the protected operating system folders and files on all of my drives. Things like; desktop.ini (of which there are two, one with a picture of a lock on the icon), and folders $Recycle.bin, Recovery, and System volume information.

The "Hide protected operating system files" check box under Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab has somehow become unchecked and I'm absolutely certain that these files were never shown before.

I'm currently in the process of doing another complete system scan with all of 3 security programs previously mentioned in safe mode. Just don't like the feeling that SillyFDC might have messed with my registry. I have looked through the registry and skimmed for entries that people list online as SillyFDC agents but don't really see anything.

At this point I'm wondering if maybe I'm alright and shouldn't really worry about it or just use Reflect Disk Image and go back to an image I made in March.

What do you guys think?

- Don't worry about it.
- Revert back to disk image from before the problem occurred and lose all the changes I've made in windows.
- Or just revert to a backup of the registry before the problem occured.