Hi,
I have windows XP pro, with all the latest security updates and service
packs. I have a 1200 mhz processor, 20gb HD with over half free, and 256 DDR
RAM. have a 2mb broadband cable internet connection.

Now, for quite a while now, my computer has started to have weird problems.
After initial boot, once the computer is fully loaded and running, the PC
will either shutdown, go into standby or just restart. No warning, it just
does it. Then I have to fight with the computer for another 2-3 attempts with
its sudden shutting off and me then restarting it, until i get in. Once its
up, it then stays up.

Also. my internet connection seems to drift from full speed, to very slow
speed (should be 240kbps but sometimes as little as 1-40 even on known high
speed sites) to just not working or connecting at all.

Ive heard of a virus called w32.welchia.worm. It causes the computer to have
these symptoms.

So far I have:
Downloaded and installed all microsoft security updates and service packs
Run three anti-virus programs on it
Used 'Easycleaner'
Used a symantic welchia worm removal tool. It said it could not detect it on
my computer.

And yet I still have these same symptoms. Any ideas guys? I really dont want
to keep fighting the computer to log on like this, it cant be good for the
computer!!??

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B28FC4B2-93BB-463B-A9DC-CC0EB2B792D2@microsoft.com,
Timbersnake <Timbersnake@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
> I have windows XP pro, with all the latest security updates and
> service packs. I have a 1200 mhz processor, 20gb HD with over half
> free, and 256 DDR RAM. have a 2mb broadband cable internet
> connection.
>
> Now, for quite a while now, my computer has started to have weird
> problems. After initial boot, once the computer is fully loaded and
> running, the PC will either shutdown, go into standby or just
> restart. No warning, it just does it. Then I have to fight with the
> computer for another 2-3 attempts with its sudden shutting off and me
> then restarting it, until i get in. Once its up, it then stays up.
>
> Also. my internet connection seems to drift from full speed, to very
> slow speed (should be 240kbps but sometimes as little as 1-40 even on
> known high speed sites) to just not working or connecting at all.
>
> Ive heard of a virus called w32.welchia.worm. It causes the computer
> to have these symptoms.
>
> So far I have:
> Downloaded and installed all microsoft security updates and service
> packs Run three anti-virus programs on it
> Used 'Easycleaner'
> Used a symantic welchia worm removal tool. It said it could not
> detect it on my computer.
>
> And yet I still have these same symptoms. Any ideas guys? I really
> dont want to keep fighting the computer to log on like this, it cant
> be good for the computer!!??

You mention virus cleaners. It could be a trojan, spyware, a worm, or even a
blended threat that your chosen products haven't the definitions for. Take a
peek here:

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Install, update, scan in safe mode. If worse comes to worse post back if the
symptoms continue.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Hi,
I have done the SP2 technique, i will see if this works. Zonealarm reset all
its configurations on itys own, and as a result asks for permissions on
inbound and outbound access. This is not a problem, but it did make me aware
of a "generic host process" called svchost.exe. If the SP2 trick doesnt work,
i will try the others n take it from there. I wont know until i do a complete
shutdown, n start again.

The virus cleaners i meant are ad-aware, spybot and norton.

From: "Timbersnake" <Timbersnake@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi,
| I have windows XP pro, with all the latest security updates and service
| packs. I have a 1200 mhz processor, 20gb HD with over half free, and 256 DDR
| RAM. have a 2mb broadband cable internet connection.
|
| Now, for quite a while now, my computer has started to have weird problems.
| After initial boot, once the computer is fully loaded and running, the PC
| will either shutdown, go into standby or just restart. No warning, it just
| does it. Then I have to fight with the computer for another 2-3 attempts with
| its sudden shutting off and me then restarting it, until i get in. Once its
| up, it then stays up.
|
| Also. my internet connection seems to drift from full speed, to very slow
| speed (should be 240kbps but sometimes as little as 1-40 even on known high
| speed sites) to just not working or connecting at all.
|
| Ive heard of a virus called w32.welchia.worm. It causes the computer to have
| these symptoms.
|
| So far I have:
| Downloaded and installed all microsoft security updates and service packs
| Run three anti-virus programs on it
| Used 'Easycleaner'
| Used a symantic welchia worm removal tool. It said it could not detect it on
| my computer.
|
| And yet I still have these same symptoms. Any ideas guys? I really dont want
| to keep fighting the computer to log on like this, it cant be good for the
| computer!!??

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

I don't see Welchia/Nachi symptoms. As for slowdowns this can be caused by non-viral
malware as well as viral malware. It could also be a problem with your ISP.

Non-Viral malware removers...
Please download, install and update the following software...

Ad-aware SE v1.06
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

Viral and Trojan malware remover...

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT