W7 HP x64 fresh install - won't detect usb flash drive for drivers

awoglom

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi, just installed W7 on a new build and can't get the drivers installed. I was having issues during the installation - it was hanging on finalizing settings - and did a new install without the ethernet connected. Installation worked, but no drivers were installed. Now it won't read a usb drive so I can't manually install the drivers. I don't have a CD/DVD drive either. At this point, I'm guessing the only thing is to try and track down a friend with a CD/DVD drive, but I'm hoping someone here might have something I can try before I do that. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

awoglom

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Unfortunately, that was the first thing I checked. USB is plugged into the 2.0 port. For added detail, when I go to the device manager, there are those yellow triangles with exclamation marks for ethernet controller, PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing, PCI Memory Controller, PCI Simple Communications, SM Bus Controller, and Universal Serial Bus Controller.

awoglom

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I've tried all the ports. It reads the usb keyboard and mouse just fine, but not the flash drive. I'm thinking the next possibility is to load all the drivers on an extra SATA hard drive and then connect that. All I can think of at the moment.