W7x64 strange problem NO ONE seems to be able to figure out!

mrderp4321

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Ok folks... i have a doozy of a Windows 7 x64 issue for you :)

I have a Dell m4700
i7-3840QM 2.8GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA K2000M
Windows 7 x64 Professional on a 120GB SSD
750GB HD for storage

A) BACKGROUND ON THE ISSUE

So, a few months ago, I downloaded a video game. It seemed to mess around with the settings, and changed a few things around that i didn't like. So, i uninstalled it. I noticed there was still a 'changed, laggy' feel around the m4700... so i hit windows update, to make sure i had every T crossed and every I dotted. Didn't change anything. In fact, make the whole system even slower. I installed all windows updates. Nothing changed. still the 'changed, laggy' feel. This 'changed, laggy' feel was both visually and in performance... again, just slight... nothing horrid.

I hemmed, I hawwed.. and finally decided to re-install Windows 7 from the Dell Factory Image. The Dell factory image installed perfectly. Everything was nice and happy and wonderful again. I decided to update the NVIDIA driver.. and.. boom. everything crashed. It was later told to me by the Dell techs that the entire OS got corrupted, and they didn't have the original Dell factory image for my laptop anymore.

So, my only choice was to re-install windows 7 x64 fresh. Not a problem. So, decided to do what I had always wanted to do, that being, but the OS on the SSD, and make the 750GB HD just for storage (m4700's don't usually come like this).

I installed, everything went perfectly.

So, i started to install the drivers from dell (all officially downloaded from Dell):

Chipset Drivers 1 - Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
Chipset Drivers 2 - Intel Management Engine 8.0 Components Driver
Chipset Drivers 3 - Intel USB 3.0
Video Devices - Intel GMA HD and NVidia K1000M / K2000M / K3000M / K4000M / K5000M
Audio Drivers - IDT 92HDxxx Audio
Network Drivers (LAN) - Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device (vPro)
Network drivers (WPAN) - Dell Wireless 380 Bluetooth Module
Network drivers (WLAN) - Wireless Driver
Chipset Drivers 4 - O2Micro OZ600xx Memory Card Reader
Applications Driver - ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor
Dell Data Protection Applications - Dell Data Protection | Access
Input Drivers - Dell Multi-touch Touchpad

And, the more I install the drivers, the more I realized the laptop was getting the same 'changed, laggy' feel it had before the re-install!

I'm now sitting here with a full reinstall, with all drivers installed.. and it still having the same changed, laggy feel that i had before the re-install.

B) CHANGED & LAGGY.

Here's what I mean by 'changed & laggy'. Usually on a laptop like mine, everything woudld work at blazing speed. Now, it works... ok. Nothing horrid mind you.. just, ok. An open window visually jumps a few times before fully opening... the task bar jumps slightly instead of smoothly opening... etc.

I'm noticing that some video games I play (Kings Bounty) studder alot.... almost to make the game unplayable.

I've tried updating to the newest NVIDIA drivers.
I've tried rolling them back to drivers that were made once my laptop came out.
I've tried turning Services & Startup off in msconfig (makes it faster, the changed/laggy feel is still there)
I've ran every anti-virus there is to run.

C) WHAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE

The only thing that makes a difference is running ComboFix, or some other utility that cleans out all the temp folders. It absolutely flies after running one. And then within a minute, after opening firefox, etc, it slowly goes back down to the changed, laggy feeling.

Every so often I'll re-install the Intel drivers, or the NVIDIA drivers, and it'll fly for a bit too... but, of course, it eventually finds its way back...

D) WHAT TO DO?

I've gone to the Dell techs. They say re-install. I've gone to the Microsoft Answer people. They say re-install. I keep telling them I just re-installed. I'll probably end up re-installing... but i'm curious what everyone thinks could be the problem... I'm thinking its something the drivers are doing... but I can't go without the drivers right?

Thanks everyone!!

mrderp4321

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
if i do that, there is ALOT of stuff in the Device Manager that is left unattended to. Wouldn't mind ignoring that except for a) it worked fine before, with all those drivers installed (albiet installed by the factory, not me), and b) there are some necessary things windows doesn't install like Ethernet, Wifi, a NVIDIA driver, etc.

basically i have to do at least a few driver installs from Dell.

mrderp4321

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
basically, this is what Dell has you install drivers for with a M4700:

1 Chipset Drivers 1 - Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
2 Chipset Drivers 2 - Intel Management Engine 8.0 Components Driver
3 Chipset Drivers 3 - Intel USB 3.0
4 Video Devices - Intel GMA HD and NVidia K1000M / K2000M / K3000M / K4000M / K5000M
5 Audio Drivers - IDT 92HDxxx Audio
6 Network Drivers (LAN) - Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device (vPro)
7 Network drivers (WPAN) - Dell Wireless 380 Bluetooth Module
8 Network drivers (WLAN) - Wireless Driver
9 Chipset Drivers 4 - O2Micro OZ600xx Memory Card Reader
10 Applications Driver - ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor
11 Dell Data Protection Applications - Dell Data Protection | Access
12 Input Drivers - Dell Multi-touch Touchpad

mrderp4321

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
hmm... could the chipset getting too hot (90C, 100C) be the cause of it?

with RealTemp 3.70 I'm seeing that i'm currently running 67C/68C with just firefox up. seems a little hot to me.

I"m also remembering that the intel HD graphics driver wouldn't install, even though my processor supports it :/

not sure what to do