[SOLVED] Wacky Internet Speeds

Jun 5, 2020
So I just moved to another state and decided to get 400mbs internet from Spectrum. I setup the modem and brand new nighthawk ac1750 router from Netgear. On all of my devices (2017 Alienware laptop, Samsung tablet, xbox one, and Motorola smartphone, all 5ghz capable) I can only get speeds up to 100-120mbs. I have even tried using a new Spectrum router and hard wiring the laptop with both cat5 and cat6. Spectrum has come twice now. The second technician cannot figure out what is going on. His work phone and an old macbook pro he had in his truck all get around the 350 mbs on speed tests. He cannot figure out why my devices all seem capped. I have tried updating anything I possibly could on every device. Thoughts?

UPDATE:
Just in case others have this issue. I do not know what is going on with the xbox/phone/tablet, but I figured out the laptop. Killer Network was bottle necking me. I noticed I was unable to select past 100mbs under Speed and Duplex option found in the device advanced settings. I fixed this using TCP Optimizer. I changed the option to "Windows Default" Then hit apply. Speed test is now at 350+mbs.

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Last edited:
Solution
So I just moved to another state and decided to get 400mbs internet from Spectrum. I setup the modem and brand new nighthawk ac1750 router from Netgear. On all of my devices (2017 Alienware laptop, Samsung tablet, xbox one, and Motorola smartphone, all 5ghz capable) I can only get speeds up to 100-120mbs. I have even tried using a new Spectrum router and hard wiring the laptop with both cat5 and cat6. Spectrum has come twice now. The second technician cannot figure out what is going on. His work phone and an old macbook pro he had in his truck all get around the 350 mbs on speed tests. He cannot figure out why my devices all seem capped. I have tried updating anything I possibly could on every device. Thoughts?
Start by ensuring...

kanewolf

Titan
Start by ensuring you have unique SSIDs on 2.4 and 5Ghz. That way you can manually select 5Ghz. Verify you have 40Mhz bandwidth selected on 5Ghz.
Pick a low number channel on 5Ghz for maximum compatibility.
But performance testing really needs to be done on a wired connection. WIFI has too many variables to be reliable for network performance testing.

Solution
Jun 5, 2020
Okay, I'll try that out. However, even with a wired connection on my laptop I am still only getting 100-120 mbs on speedtest. It is a Killer e2500 gigabit ethernet controller.

Jun 5, 2020
Okay. So I uninstalled the driver suite and the control center. The website does not have a driver only e2500. It says
"For other Killer devices, the device drivers that are installed by default in Windows and provided by Windows Update are sufficient for most users. If you need specific updates or drivers for these devices, please refer to your Computer Manufacturers download page. "

So I already had microsoft look for the most updated drivers. Did not change my speeds after installing. Then I went and found the driver from 2019 on the dell support page for my laptop. Installed that, still hasn't changed speeds. Thanks for the help btw. I really appreciate it.

Jun 5, 2020
Just in case others have this issue. I do not know what is going on with the xbox/phone/tablet, but I figured out the laptop. Killer Network was bottle necking me. I noticed I was unable to select past 100mbs under Speed and Duplex option found in the device advanced settings. I fixed this using TCP Optimizer. I changed the option to "Windows Default" Then hit apply. Speed test is now at 350+mbs.

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Which of the 10 different xbox do you have? Original XB1 apparently does not have AC, just single or dual band N. Phone could have only 1 antennae, and laptop is 3 years old.

Specs specs specs. We can't give help for thousands of different devices :p

TRENDING THREADS