Wacky problem - need help - slow access speed

I am using a Windows 2003 Enterprise server with Win XP Prof clients.

My problem has two parts to it - A) slow internal access to a RS/6000 using
a terminal emulator and B) slow when accessing the Internet using Internet
Explorer 5x and 6x.

This is what is happening. When the user logs on it takes a long time
before there is connection. after they logon the first time and logoff, the
next time they try to access the connection - it seems normal and faster?
However, this keeps changing back an forth,during the day.

This is happening both internally (via the LAN) and externally using a T1
line 512 bps.

I am using multiple switches, a Netopia Router and a T1 Router.

My Workstations have the internal DNS IP assigned to them.

My DNS server is forward to the Netopia Router

My T1 Router is pointing to the ISP DNS IPs.

Every thing works, but, slow as mentioned above.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thx

David

Are you getting any errors in the event viewer on your DNS server? Do you
see all the clients registered in the DNS server?

"John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I am using a Windows 2003 Enterprise server with Win XP Prof clients.
>
> My problem has two parts to it - A) slow internal access to a RS/6000
using
> a terminal emulator and B) slow when accessing the Internet using Internet
> Explorer 5x and 6x.
>
> This is what is happening. When the user logs on it takes a long time
> before there is connection. after they logon the first time and logoff,
the
> next time they try to access the connection - it seems normal and faster?
> However, this keeps changing back an forth,during the day.
>
> This is happening both internally (via the LAN) and externally using a T1
> line 512 bps.
>
> I am using multiple switches, a Netopia Router and a T1 Router.
>
> My Workstations have the internal DNS IP assigned to them.
>
> My DNS server is forward to the Netopia Router
>
> My T1 Router is pointing to the ISP DNS IPs.
>
> Every thing works, but, slow as mentioned above.
>
> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thx

No DNS error and yes clients are registered

"David" <david@david.com> wrote in message
> Are you getting any errors in the event viewer on your DNS server? Do you
> see all the clients registered in the DNS server?
>
> "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I am using a Windows 2003 Enterprise server with Win XP Prof clients.
>>
>> My problem has two parts to it - A) slow internal access to a RS/6000
> using
>> a terminal emulator and B) slow when accessing the Internet using
>> Internet
>> Explorer 5x and 6x.
>>
>> This is what is happening. When the user logs on it takes a long time
>> before there is connection. after they logon the first time and logoff,
> the
>> next time they try to access the connection - it seems normal and faster?
>> However, this keeps changing back an forth,during the day.
>>
>> This is happening both internally (via the LAN) and externally using a T1
>> line 512 bps.
>>
>> I am using multiple switches, a Netopia Router and a T1 Router.
>>
>> My Workstations have the internal DNS IP assigned to them.
>>
>> My DNS server is forward to the Netopia Router
>>
>> My T1 Router is pointing to the ISP DNS IPs.
>>
>> Every thing works, but, slow as mentioned above.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Thx

David

What types of switches are you using? The switches could be having errors.
We have 3com managed switches here and I've noticed performance issues when
the switches were having a lot of errors. The errors were caused by smaller
hubs plugged into the 3com switches. They were having auto negotiation
issues. We had to force the 3com switch to be in a certain mode on the
ports that were plugged into the hubs. I would suggest looking into the
switch log if you have managed switches.

> No DNS error and yes clients are registered
>
> "David" <david@david.com> wrote in message
> > Are you getting any errors in the event viewer on your DNS server? Do
you
> > see all the clients registered in the DNS server?
> >
> > "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> I am using a Windows 2003 Enterprise server with Win XP Prof clients.
> >>
> >> My problem has two parts to it - A) slow internal access to a RS/6000
> > using
> >> a terminal emulator and B) slow when accessing the Internet using
> >> Internet
> >> Explorer 5x and 6x.
> >>
> >> This is what is happening. When the user logs on it takes a long time
> >> before there is connection. after they logon the first time and logoff,
> > the
> >> next time they try to access the connection - it seems normal and
faster?
> >> However, this keeps changing back an forth,during the day.
> >>
> >> This is happening both internally (via the LAN) and externally using a
T1
> >> line 512 bps.
> >>
> >> I am using multiple switches, a Netopia Router and a T1 Router.
> >>
> >> My Workstations have the internal DNS IP assigned to them.
> >>
> >> My DNS server is forward to the Netopia Router
> >>
> >> My T1 Router is pointing to the ISP DNS IPs.
> >>
> >> Every thing works, but, slow as mentioned above.
> >>
> >> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thx

Using Dell switches.

I was having the same problem, when testing, before going live. I'll check
that out.

thanks