Waht is the use of WINS ? Where we can use it .

Waht is the use of WINS ? Where we can use it .

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:10:58 +0530, "Brinesh Kishore"
<b.brineshkishore@gmail.com> wrote:

>Waht is the use of WINS ? Where we can use it .

Windows Internet Naming Service.

It was used with a WINS server in older MS networks for name
resolution.

Newer MS Server OSs are tightly integrated with DNS and don't require
WINS.

In article <af5ci1laok5qoqe65t1cvmcajg61nc5e1e@4ax.com>, NobodyMan
<none@none.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:10:58 +0530, "Brinesh Kishore"
><b.brineshkishore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Waht is the use of WINS ? Where we can use it .
>>
>Windows Internet Naming Service.
>
>It was used with a WINS server in older MS networks for name
>resolution.
>
>Newer MS Server OSs are tightly integrated with DNS and don't require
>WINS.

WINS and DNS can only used for name resolution in a client/server
network, such as a Windows domain.

A workgroup (peer-to-peer) network uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP for name
resolution.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:43:52 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<winograd@pobox.com> wrote:

>In article <af5ci1laok5qoqe65t1cvmcajg61nc5e1e@4ax.com>, NobodyMan
><none@none.net> wrote:
>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:10:58 +0530, "Brinesh Kishore"
>><b.brineshkishore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Waht is the use of WINS ? Where we can use it .
>>>
>>Windows Internet Naming Service.
>>
>>It was used with a WINS server in older MS networks for name
>>resolution.
>>
>>Newer MS Server OSs are tightly integrated with DNS and don't require
>>WINS.
>
>WINS and DNS can only used for name resolution in a client/server
>network, such as a Windows domain.
>
>A workgroup (peer-to-peer) network uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP for name
>resolution.

Nope. I used to run a small network, using a 2003 Server Box for file
sharing and about 25 clients. I ran the entire thing using DNS. In
fact, I never used NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

So it's possible. I wouldn't want to do it again - I walked into this
situation - but it CAN be done.

TRENDING THREADS