Wait, CPU bottleneck?

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
So, i may be completely off by this (which is why i'm here!) but am i off by thinking that an AMD 5600+ Windsor would bottleneck an MSI 9600gt?

Maybe i'm doing the figures wrong but when i OC'd the processor to 3.2 and ran 3dmark the video card score went up as well.

like i said, i may be completely wrong but i would have assumed upping the speed on the CPU would have only effected the CPU score, not all three, unless it was getting bottle necked.

....this is all making me which i had waited a month to build the thing and had an AM2+ MoBo instead of just an AM2... P2 720BE ftw 8(

AMD 5600+ Windsor core
Nvidia MSI 9600gt
Geil copper edition 4gig ram
2x WD 320gig HDD (green i think~)
SB audigy
Rosewill 550watt
Asus MoBo M2N something something

Sorry if this double posts, not sure if it took the first time.

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

I may be totally off too :D

but from what i understand, a faster CPU could affect performance of the GPU. Not because it is a bottleneck but because it cycled and processes information faster to RAM and GPU

But i may be totally wrong because im not familiar with the AMD 5600+ windsor core

Could u possible compare it to an intel chip(like a peniutm dual core or what not)

hope this helps

plz reply

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Bluescreen - Yeah i wasn't really planning on it, the thing comes pre OC'd from MSI and seems to do reasonably well. I was actually thinking of replacing it because i figured that would give me the most performance boost for the smallest $$, but now i am wondering....

UberGenocide - ahhh yeah, that would make sense. I don't know for sure (like you) but yeah, that seems like it could be right. Sadly i know nothing about Intel Cores except the i7. From what i believe Intels Wolfdale chips are reasonably close to the AMD 6000+ and considering my Windsor came from the factory all the way to 6400+, i would assume Windsor (or Brisbane) AMD's would most resemble a Wolfdale Intel (only reason i know that is my buddy has one lol) <-- again i may be wrong though.

Thanks for the quick replies! Keeping me from being bored at work

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

o and one more thing to backup what i posted before

The Core 2 Duo and a 250 GTS were paired up and played crysis at 41.6 FPS around or about(E8400 definitely not a bottleneck)

The i7 was paired up with the 250 GTS and got 42.4 FPS around or about(a considerable upgrade supposedly and only 2% increase)

Then a 260 GTX core 216 was used and FPS went up to 59.4

So in gaming its more about GPU power...not all but a lot of it has to do with your GPU