[SOLVED] Wait for Ampere cards or buy now?

Jul 19, 2018
Hello,

I just read news about Nvidia’s new Ampere cards (3070, 3080, etc) and how they might actually cost less and perform way better

Does that mean I should wait until they come out our buy a GPU now? (Btw, I’m thinking of buying a 2080 Super at Christmas)

Solution
Just buy when you need to upgrade unless the new cards are imminent. There will always be something better just on the horizon. As for prices who knows, impossible to predict and with what is happening globally with tariffs and FX movement predicting future prices for anything is definitely not certain.
So they might cost less, if and when they deliver on time... 'some time next year'...and as yet, untested, and unannounced.

I'd only wait if about to buy a 2080Ti and I KNEW that something was coming out next week or month... 'some time next year' is not going to cut it.

Just buy when you need to upgrade unless the new cards are imminent. There will always be something better just on the horizon. As for prices who knows, impossible to predict and with what is happening globally with tariffs and FX movement predicting future prices for anything is definitely not certain.

Solution