Wait for Coffee Lake? I5 8600k or I7 7700k?

Drunkcowboy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
So I was getting ready to start buying some parts for my upcoming pc build when I found out Coffee lake was releasing soon. I am now second guessing my self after this came to my attention, hence why I'm here. So do you think I should just buy the I7-7700k now, or wait for the Coffee Lake. Right now I'm trying to not overspend and the I7-7700k is really pushing it for me so an I7-8600k is out of the question. Perhaps I could go for an I7-8600 (non k) because they are about the same price, but I saw that the 8600 has only 3.2GHz. Maybe I am missing something, but I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Solution
It depends on what you’re after. There’s a Romanian website which posted a very interesting review about the i7 8700K and i5 8600K and it shows the 8600K performing above every single CPU gaming wise but being on par with a 1600X in multithreaded applications and were talking about a 6 core CPU with no HT. I’d wait for reviews as those will be abundant come October 5th.

Personally I’ll get an 8600K as my main focus is gaming and I’m sure it’ll not disappoint and most importantly it’ll be cheaper than than a 7700K.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Personally, I'd opt for a 7700K (4 core/8thread) opposed to an i5-8600K (6core/6 thread).

Really depends on your needs, I guess.

For strictly gaming, the increased clock speed (4.5GHz turbo vs 4.3 on the 8600K) would be beneficial.

I'd suggest considering a Ryzen5 1600 (6 core/12thread) in most cases. Sure, it's a clocked a little lower (3.6GHz boost. Probably 4GHz with an OC), but >$100 cheaper - and the motherboard will likely be a cheaper purchase too.

Drunkcowboy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

The main reason I ask is because I'm trying to free up some money on my build, but I guess the 40$ price difference between the 7700k and the i5 8600k is worth it. Do you think there is really that much of a difference in performance/ longevity wise? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money without cutting corners, but it is becoming seemingly more difficult. I would appreciate it a lot if you looked at my planned build and perhaps could offer some insight; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/
I really want a GTX 1070, but I'm thinking about a 1060, thoughts? I was also planning on buying as many parts as I can on black Friday in order to save money. I know this has drastically change from the original topic, but it would help a lot if you can offer some more insight. Thanks again.

acosta.87

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
It depends on what you’re after. There’s a Romanian website which posted a very interesting review about the i7 8700K and i5 8600K and it shows the 8600K performing above every single CPU gaming wise but being on par with a 1600X in multithreaded applications and were talking about a 6 core CPU with no HT. I’d wait for reviews as those will be abundant come October 5th.

Personally I’ll get an 8600K as my main focus is gaming and I’m sure it’ll not disappoint and most importantly it’ll be cheaper than than a 7700K.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS