Wait for Coffee Lake (Intel i5/i7 8xxx Series) or Cannon Lake (Intel i5/i7 9xxx Series)(10nm)

Solution
Ppl been asking that exact same question for years now. Get Ivy or wait for Haswell. Get Haswell or wait for DC or even Broadwell.... As you see, waiting all that time from Haswell to Broadwell was not exactly worth it by any means, huge waste of time really. So the question isn't really should you wait, but will it really be worth it to wait 2-3 years on another possible Broadwell type release. Imho forget the wait. Kabylake / Ryzen is just fine, now, figure out about Cannon Lake and whether it'd be worth the upgrade or not, when it actually gets here.

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Waiting for the next tech advancement is a never-ending quest. You can wait for Coffee Lake, and when it comes you'll be wondering if you should wait for the next release, and so on. Just buy it when you need it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Way too general a question - what are you running now? That'll be the deciding factor (paired with what you're using it for, of course).

Anybody on a higher-end i5/i7 from SandyBridge on, probably don't "need" to upgrade.

You have an i7-6950X so you're clearly not asking for yourself (I hope! :lol:).

I don't really see a point in waiting for a new processor line from intel. I doubt the next iteration will offer any significant performance gains over Kaby Lake, and even if it does, it's not like Kaby Lake is going to obsolete anytime soon.

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
The big jump would be Cannonlake. Just look at how much mobile chips have benefitted from 14nm to 10nm. Granted these are small chips, but a 40% power drop/20% clock gain is significant. i7 9700K at 5 GHz base perhaps?

Cannonlake is far away. Get what you need from Intel now. Coffee Lake is not worth waiting unless you are going for Purley CPUs.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

6 Cores now

I think the Intel i3 going be a Tri Core too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ppl been asking that exact same question for years now. Get Ivy or wait for Haswell. Get Haswell or wait for DC or even Broadwell.... As you see, waiting all that time from Haswell to Broadwell was not exactly worth it by any means, huge waste of time really. So the question isn't really should you wait, but will it really be worth it to wait 2-3 years on another possible Broadwell type release. Imho forget the wait. Kabylake / Ryzen is just fine, now, figure out about Cannon Lake and whether it'd be worth the upgrade or not, when it actually gets here.

Solution